Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Model=2013 ST22BH.
Question: Has anyone had any experience with the 12 volt system "tripping" under load?
If I turn all my lights on, there is a system trip, all the power goes down for about 20 seconds or so and then re-sets.
I hear what I will call a breaker tripping and resetting. It is located just behind the batter box. ON the "A" frame, just under the front cap.

Could this be faulty and causing a pre-mature trip and reset of the 12 volt system?

Any help would be appreciated. It would be nice to be able to have the lights on and be able to use the water pump while in 12 volt mode.

Edited by: mnsunset
mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

OK, so I found out it is a 12V 06A auto resetting breaker.

Could the breaker be bad or what would cause it to trip?
I am going to check grounds next and try to find a replacement breaker. Problem is, it is such a low amperage that no one has them in stock. The closest is a 15 amp,,,,I don't want to cause problems by putting that in...

Old 07-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree it should not trip. I would get an ammeter (buy or borrow) and check what the amperage is when it trips. If it trips at 5 or 6 amps, then replace it(or have it replaced under warranty). Normally these things won't trip until you go over the rated amperage. If it trips at 6+ amps, then turn off some lights.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for the idea Stan, I will get the amp meter on it and have the kids turn lights on one at a time until it trips...
I hope it is just a bad breaker.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

In thinking, I wonder if when wiring the camper they put the 12 volt output on the wrong side of this breaker.
Doesn't 6 amps seem like an awful small amperage to have in front of everything running off the battery?

Perhaps the 6 amp breaker is to protect the battery from the inverter sending too many amps to the battery during charging?

Anyone know?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

So I need some help.
Below, the first image is of the breaker I am having issues with and wondered if anyone is near their unit and can take a look for me. The breaker is located under the front of the RV, Near the battery storage on TT's and under a little plastic shield.

The question Ihave is this. Is your 12V 6 amp breaker wired like mine?

As you can see, the batter + goes on the stud on the right while the stud on the left supplies the unit with the 12 volt power needed for dry camping. Does this seem correct? I ask because when I use the lights an any other 12 volt item the breaker keeps tripping and re-setting.

I wonder if it was wired incorrectly. Is the 6 amp breaker actually to protect the battery from the inverter/charger during charge mode so no more than 6 amps is drawn to the battery?

If that is the case then I think the wires on the left stud, except for the feed from the inverter/charger, should be on the right stud.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great. Or if someone can steal a peak at their setup that would be great also.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I just looked at mine. I have two breakers like what you have pictured. Both are marked 12v and one is 50a and the other is 30a. The wiring to the posts look similar.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

6amps seams low, in your breaker box your dc fuses are most 15 amps. I'am not sure you can read dc amps with a ac amprobe. I had that happen when tring to read amps on a dc golf cart motor.
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

That is my opinion also, So it leaves me to believe the breaker is there to protect the battery from too many amps from the inverter/charger. And the wires to power the 12volt items are on the wrong side of the breaker.

BUT
Crossroads now must be tired of me as they are not returning e-mails or phone calls....

Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

OK Let me ask the obvious question. Are you sure it's a 6 amp breaker? I ask that because if your eyes are as bad as mine, you might have mis-read it.

The breaker on the front of my Zinger is 30 amp. 6 amps sounds way too light for what it is supposed to carry.

Have you checked to see if anything is drawing power with everything (supposedly) shut off. If you have a large phantom load, just turning on lights could be enough to trip it.

Just my .02

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

rv-rick, I have to laugh,,,,I need my cheaters to see that it is a 6 amp breaker, and I checked for a parasitic draw and found none. Plus if there was the battery would be dead overnight. Thanks for the input.
What else?
I sent the picture to crossroads service and asked that they verify it with their "engineers" that it was in the correct configuration and have not heard back. That was two days ago.
Big trip coming up and I would like to get this corrected. My dealer is a 6 hour round trip away and I don't have the time to make that run.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

If that is the main breaker, it seems strange to me that it would be 6 amps. Of course, I would never suggest that you go to a bigger rating. Do you know where the wires coming off the breaker go, i.e. whateach controls?

My breaker has two wires on it. One in and one out.

My awning and tongue jack, both added later,go directly to the battery, with their own inline fuses, of course.

As the famous detective once said: Tis a puzzlement.

I hope Crossroads gets on the stick and gets this straightened out.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Maybe it is supposed to protectyour car wiring limiting the charging curren t to 6 amps while on the road AND is wrongly conneccted. Or they put a wrong breaker at the right place.
denism28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

The mini breaker for your ST should be a 50 amp, looks like someone installed the wrong one. If you contact Crossroads service I sure they will send you one.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Also try calling your dealer, he may be able to verify its the wrong fuse and allow you to fix it yourself
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Wouldn't you think with the pics I posted and sent to the service department at crossroads that they would take the 5 minutes to check and get back to me with an answer?

I guess not.

Strike two against the service department. (It's actually strike 6 but I am being nice!)

Old 07-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

I retract my last statement.
My Bad that I missed a call on my cell and just got the voice mail. I actually missed two calls yesterday from the service department.

The 6 amp auto resetting breaker is the wrong one installed on my unit.
Trailer Tom is the winner with the correct answer. It should have been a 50 amp.

Crossroads is sending out the correct breaker, plus a spare. I also know that part is stocked at NAPA or similar stores for about $5.

Hopefully problem solved.

Thanks Crossroads Service department!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

You have to have faith in Crossroads. lol. Glad it's taking care of.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

The correct auto resetting breaker (plus a spare) showed up today as promised. I put it in and problem is fixed. Now we can have 2 lights on AND run the water pump without tripping the thing.
Tom in the service department came through for me.
Took some time but in the end it all worked out.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Glad to hear that Crossroads came through for you. I believe they are a good company that tries hard to help their customers.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote