Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #1
New Camper

When I was replacing my battery, I did a really dumb thing. During the tightening of cables, my wrench touched the diamond plated cover protecting the bottles for a split second when I was on the + terminal. I don't have any 12V power now. I looked for tripped breakers & blown fuses. Haven't found anything yet. Can anyone help? BTW, I have a 2006 29' Cruiser TT.
Edited by: DAD22
DAD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
My old Aerolite had fuses on the backside of the converter that blew when I made a similar mistake . Make sure all power (battery and shore) is disconnected and then remove the converter to get to the back or it. Remember, even if the12 voltdoesn't work now, you still have power from the battery and once you replace the fuse

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I think there may be an inline fuse on some trailers.It would be on one of the wires off thr battery.Other than that its in the converter box I would think.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Thereshould bea 40 amp fuse in your breaker box that protects your converter from reversing the battery cables. Maybe when you grounded out the battery you burned out that fuse. It is orange in my rig and is clearly labeled as a reverse polarity fuse. Check that one out.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
New Camper

Thanks Ridgeman. I will look for that.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
New Camper

Hey thanks csham for the info.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
New Camper

Hi Dad22

There should be a fuse inline on the battery leads heading out of your battery compartment and it should be a foot or less from the battery terminal.

Failing that, like the other fellow said you could have tripped the reverse battery connection fuses that should be in the converter box. To check the Converter output one thing you could do is disconnect the DC leads from the battery to the converter and then after turning on the converter check the voltage accross the DCterminals at theconverter to see if the converter is producing 12 -13 Volts DC. If it is then you probably shorted out the Battery fuse a previously stated. Once again be careful to disconnect the AC power to the Converter prior to doing any work and tape off the battery leads at the Converter before turning back on the AC for the test to prevent any shorts when you turn on the AC fead to converter.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

This won't help you now, but in the future, connect the positive first when connecting a battery and disconnect the negative first when disconnecting a battery. The reason for this is that you can't have arcing from the positive to ground if there is no negative connection because the negative IS ground and therefore there is no ground. If the wrench touches ground when it is connected to the negative terminal, even when the positive is connected, there is no arcing because, again the negative terminal IS ground. NOTE: you could still accidentally span the positive and negative terminals directly with a long wrench.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote