Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Question, I am planning a camping trip this weekend. No hookups. I will be taking the generators (Honda 2000 x 2 with parallel kit). In the bedroom I use a small fan mounted to the tv bracket. (See pic below) I usually camp with at least electric hookups. But this time friends have invited us tocamp with them on their property. Now I am planning on using a 12 volt converter that will plug into the12 volt cigarette lighter adapter on the ceiling in the bedroom and plug my small fan into the converter. Finally the question. Does anyone know how long the fan will run on the one battery or has anyone used the 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter for a tv and how long will it last. I will be able to charge the main battery back up during the day. I have no idea how much current the small fan pulls.

Edited by: Papa-T

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

A similar Honywell HT-900 11" diameter fan draws .28 amps (33.6 watts); running it for 8 hours would consume about 2.24 AH and should not be a problem.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I stay the night while traveling. All i can add is:

I have a 12v fan running (about the same size you have)and also the 14" 12v tv in the bedroom. No inverter. Still running when i wake up 6 to 8 hours later. One battery.. I am sure, running, i mean, not by much.

Running through an inverter i think your time will be considerably less.

I have since installed two batteries getting ready for a big inverter install.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Do you think it would be better toreplace the fan plug witha 12 volt cigarette lighter plug. And just not use the converter. I was thinking also that the converter would be pulling more current. Edited by: Papa-T

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I ran a fan through a inverter for quiet a few years. Every morning the fan was still going. That was before i got my 12v tv.. Then i bought a 12v fan so it will make it through the night better.

You can't just swap the plug. You need to replace the fan if you switch to 12v.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Ok thanks. Think I will use the inverter and plug into that. Thanks for the help. Been camping for 27 years but sad to say I usually have electric hookup. I have to have a fan running or I just cant sleep. Thanks Sirsea and Dan

Old 05-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

You should be fine, Just check out the inverter.. Mine was a little 75 watter. Mainly for charging cell phones and charging laptops.. it would get real warm running the TV.. Wattage is specified on the side of the inverter.

I can't sleep without a fan neither.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I tried out the inverter I have; which is a 300 watt. It's about 8" x 4" and 1 1/2 thick. Worked great. I'll see this weekend how long it will last. Thanks again for the input.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Took my 300 watt inverter camping this weekend. I used it with the fan on high. In the morning eight hours later I checked the battery meter and it was still showing full. So, I'm happy.