Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

2012 Slingshot with Secure Stance Question

We have a 2012 Crossroads Slingshot 19M, with the secure stance twin axles. We took it out past weekend , and when backing up you hear a distinct poping noise coming from the axle areas. You do not hear this popping noise while at road speeds , Just backing up real slow or at very slow speeds.

Has anyone had this noise before, or could lead me in right direction of what it may be. I have watched the axles as my wife backs it up slow , and when you hear the pop, I do not see anything loose or moving out of the ordinary. I have the lippert axles and the manual says to torque all shacle bolts, and they are all in specs.

Any help is appreciated.
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Its your electric brakes releasing as you back up. Inside the brake dorm is a magnet that twists to disengage the shoes.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:07 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the info. I guess that would explain why I do not hear pop noise when going down the highway , just when backing up and going forward barely moving to park it using brakes.
Thanks Jeff
Old 03-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

When I'm backing up, I usually turn my brakes to "0". Between the hitch and axles spread (I have wide stance also), I have quite a bit of clicks, pops, noises etc. Never have found any damage or problems. Normal noises with axles and hitch being in a minor bind. IMO
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Greg, we do have brake control and never thought to turn down the setting. It is our first pull behind camper using brake control and weight distributing hitch system, so we are in the learning mode with towing. Next time we will turn it down to 0 and hoping noise goes away. It is just as you described with pops, clicks and crazy noises coming from the wheel areas.
Thanks to both of you for the replies and help.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I too would like to know how it works out for you. I have never touched the brake controller once it is set .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:15 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

We have over a 100 foot driveway, and when I get time today, I am going to hook up to it, without the seven pin connector hooked up, and pull it forward and backward and see if the poping noise is gone. Brakes will not be activated. If I still hear the noise, then it seems the brakes are not at fault
Will let you know what happens.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

ok , just did the forward and back up test in driveway, no 7 pin connected, and on the third time going forward and stop, I heard the pop noise. did this for about 7 times back and forth, and only heard the pop that one time on the third stop. All the rest of times it was quiet. So looks like Ill be jacking it up and check for loose leaf spring bushings, and center hanger bushing for slack. I will pull wheels and check the brakes make sure I don't have a shoe that is binding or not returning,. Being I heard the noise once, it seems like brakes are not causing the pop noise. Just want to make sure it is safe. Cant do this today, too much on list to do. When I do will let yall know what I found on this thread.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:30 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

We have a fifth wheel, so not quite the same, but I've heard, if u have to back up very far, it's best to take off your sway bars. They are put somewhat in a bind when backing. I don't have a bumper pull, just what I've been told.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtx View Post
We have a fifth wheel, so not quite the same, but I've heard, if u have to back up very far, it's best to take off your sway bars. They are put somewhat in a bind when backing. I don't have a bumper pull, just what I've been told.
I was going to add that fact into the last comment but I was going to tell him NOT to disconnect any eqilizing bars, that will just lower the tongue and may cause damage to the tongue jack. If there is a separate SWAY bar (friction)then just loosen the handle a bit. No need to actually waste time taking it off.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

When I did the back and forth yesterday, I had wd hooked but did not use 7 pin connector so the brakes were isolated for working. I did hear pop one time , passenger side, and plan to check bushings and brakes. I went back and forth slow about 7 times and it made the pop noise once. So to me since brakes was not plugged in , then I need to focus on the leaf springs, bushings, center hanger and so forth. But will pull wheels and check brakes.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I finally had the chance to pull all 4 wheels and brake drums today. Nothing was broken and all brake parts look great including the magnets. I pulled the emergency brake pin and all 4 magnets get energized and deengergized when I put the pin back in. I see what you all are talking about the magnet does move a lot and swivel. The only thing holding the magnet is the bracket or arm , that goes from the center pin on top and holds magnet on bottom. Nothing else, lots of movement in this arm. Seems like they could have used a hold down spring like they use on the brake shoes. Just my opinion.
And all leaf springs, shackles, and center hanger bushings are all good and hardware is torqued.
Guess I will just have to get used to the pop noise using brakes at low speeds parking. At least now I know everything is safe and ready to pull.
Thanks to everyone for all your inputs and advice.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

What happened to this tread, not showing on the General RV forum anymore.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #14
Site Team

I don't see it in the toy hauler forum. It's in the Slingshot forum.
You do have a Slingshot don't you?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Yes have Slingshot, but this whole tread was originally posted in the General RV question section until yesterday . Somehow it got switched to this section.
Oh well.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
Site Team

bump
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

After taking everything all apart, we test it at low speeds, and it still pops backing up but now I know all is good and nothing wrong. When we camping last week, I watched several other brand campers with dual axles and when they backed up on the camping pad, it made lots of pops and noises also. Thanks for all yall infor, and thanks to Lloyd for putting this thread back here in the General RV section.
SJSS
Old 05-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSS Slingshot View Post
ok , just did the forward and back up test in driveway, no 7 pin connected, and on the third time going forward and stop, I heard the pop noise. did this for about 7 times back and forth, and only heard the pop that one time on the third stop. All the rest of times it was quiet. So looks like Ill be jacking it up and check for loose leaf spring bushings, and center hanger bushing for slack. I will pull wheels and check the brakes make sure I don't have a shoe that is binding or not returning,. Being I heard the noise once, it seems like brakes are not causing the pop noise. Just want to make sure it is safe. Cant do this today, too much on list to do. When I do will let yall know what I found on this thread.
Wise man to check it all slingshot. None of it fixes itself and the driveway is prefreable to the roadside. Of course turning up the radio stops most noises...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T537A using Tapatalk
fredtx is offline   Reply With Quote