Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
TCP
New Camper

2016 lite 27BH construction and issues?

Hello,

edit: 270BH Trailer.

Having recently sold our Funfinder we are on the hunt for a new trailer. With growing kids, there is a local 2016 Sunset Trail 27BH for sale that is of interest. Our trailers have always been smaller 17-19ft units that we could store on our property, but need something bigger now.

Having reviewed the commodity trailer market (keystone hideouts, etc) as well as the higher end (grand designs and outdoors RV), I'm trying to place the Sunset trail lineup. Is there someplace that has information about the construction of these trailers? Is the roof walkable? What are the dimensions of the pass through door? The Crossroads site has a "construction" section that contains no info:

Sunset Trail Super Lite Travel Trailer Construction

Beyond that information, are there any weaknesses I should be looking for when it comes to this 2016? leaks? delamination? structural issues? Is the roof walkable? What are the dimensions of the pass through door?

I'm pretty handy in fixing all the little issues and systems in the trailer, but don't want to buy something with structural issues or leaks.

Thanks for any information.
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. As far as a walkable roof. If it doesn’t come with a ladder from the factory, then it’s not made to be walked on. As far as construction, with any campers your going to have good ones and bad ones but I’d say unless you purchase a really high end RV the construction is going to be standard. And I’d say the higher end ones just have more flash to cover up construction. I’ve never owned an Rv that I didn’t have to fix or have something fixed at some point. Maybe someone else will jump in soon with their opinion.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
TCP
New Camper

Ok

I'm pretty handy with water, gas and general systems. I replaced a non-ducted furnace for a ducted model in our funfinder and have replaced the converter with better models in other trailer. Both previous trailers had walk-able roofs and no ladders, so I'm not sure that's quite right. Any specifics for a 2017 270BH would be helpful. General RV stuff I know quite well.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Well, the rule of thumb as I’ve always understood it is; if came with a ladder you can walk on it, if not do not try it. You ask; so I was just giving my opinion. But if you think I’m wrong. Go for it!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 06-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Got to agree with PapaT on this one. I wouldn't go throwing a lawn chair party on the roof like you seen in the good old days with other makes and models...
Old 06-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
TCP
New Camper

oops

I think we are talking about a different level of roof access. My point was never to party on the roof, just get up there for maintenance now and again. The Dicor Rubber roofs are never meant for that. Some roof trusses are on very wide spans that don't allow you to walk on them without damaging the wood sheathing underneath, that's more my question.

Looks like we are going to have a look tonight...in the rain. Perfect way to check for leaks.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCP View Post
I think we are talking about a different level of roof access. My point was never to party on the roof, just get up there for maintenance now and again. The Dicor Rubber roofs are never meant for that.
I’m pretty sure he was kidding about actually having a party on the roof. Of course; I could be wrong again.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
TCP
New Camper

It happens

Sitting on the AC shroud is always a good idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (54.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 06-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Unscrew the inside cover for one of your roof vents and you will see a cross section of the roof ....probably only 3/16" luan .about the thickness of cheap panelling . If you dogo on the roof , get a piece of plywood and lay across a couple trusses to distribute weight.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:40 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Well, the rule of thumb as I’ve always understood it is; if came with a ladder you can walk on it, if not do not try it. You ask; so I was just giving my opinion. But if you think I’m wrong. Go for it!
I agree. I have a factory ladder and my roof is pretty marginal. The decking sags pretty good when I walk on it. I expect a roof with no ladder would be worse. All the makers cut corners wherever they can.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

The roof on the Sunset Trail Super Light is not walkable. Also the fiberglass front caps are very prone to fade badly ( most other manufacturers have this issue also). And if you travel with a full fresh water tank I recommend adding an additional support strap or two under the tank between the frame rails.The tanks have been known to sag with all of the weight of the water bouncing down the road.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
TCP
New Camper

Went to see the trailer last night. Nice and clean without any visible leaks. A bit disappointed with the heating system. No outlets in the bedroom or bathroom from what I can tell. Heating is important in the Rockies early and late in the year. Ducted AC was much better with outlets everywhere. My only other concern is the cable operated slide. always had gear-driven mechanical versions so the cable ones give me bit of concern.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
New Camper

I have a 2016 ST270BH and have been pretty happy with it for the most part. As was mentioned earlier construction is standard and is what you should expect for a trailer in this tier. I recently had to replace the awning motor $125 and the led light strip in the awning quit working but was replaced under warranty. The only significant issue I have experienced is the fading of the fiberglass cap. I just spent 6 hours polishing it with a good result this passed weekend but we will see how long it lasts. I’m now out of warranty but do plan to contact crossroads to see if they will take any ownership on the issue.
bajones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Walking the roof

I just bought a Coleman (Keystone) 26' pull trailer new that came without a ladder. I called Keystone and they told me the unit has the proper backing to install a ladder. So, either Keystone or Camping World were too cheap to include the ladder.

Bottom line, make sure the rig has the "backing" for a ladder. Also, no one at Camping World here in Sacramento could tell me if backing was included, I had to call Keystone myself and speak with an engineer there.....so much for customer service.

ed
efavilajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #15
New Camper

My bedroom has a heat vent at the foot of the bed I believe
jamiehorwood33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCP View Post
Went to see the trailer last night. Nice and clean without any visible leaks. A bit disappointed with the heating system. No outlets in the bedroom or bathroom from what I can tell. Heating is important in the Rockies early and late in the year. Ducted AC was much better with outlets everywhere. My only other concern is the cable operated slide. always had gear-driven mechanical versions so the cable ones give me bit of concern.

My Zinger ZT260BH has vent at base of queen bed. I’m a little ticked there’s not one IN the bathroom but one just outside the door. It’s a little cold coming out of the shower lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

2016 z-1 272bh

Not the same trailer but close. I did find some issues when one of the gas shocks where you lift up bed for storagewhen it locked up. It ripped a piece of the 2x2 wood out. I put some 2x2 popular wood in the frame work under the bed I did notice screws were very scarce by my standards so I put a lot of them in hidden frame work of benches and couch. Be careful where you do this you do not want to hit a wire. I carry

Some wood and screws all the time. Main kitchen drawer had the bottom fall out when wife overloaded the very flimsy drawer bottom.
I ran 1x4 inside and replaced bottom of drawer with 3/8 plywood with glue and screws. These

are minor problems that I think are pretty common on the builds. I expect more minor issues along the way but so far nothing that would prevent me from buying and rolling.
Good luck.
catdaddy1rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

We've got a 2016 240BH (same as the 270 just 3' shorter and no couch) Have not had any major issues at all. I do keep it stored under a shed though so the sun stays off of the roof and front cap. As for walking on the roof I weigh in at 240lbs and I have been on the roof several times, but always made sure to distribute my weight on the roof trusses and never step between them. About 3 months after we got it I just went around every roof opening and the front/rear seams with some eternabond tape (didn't want to deal with dicor all the time) and have never had a leak. Trailer stays warm in the fall (been camping with temps down in the 20's no problem) and cool in the summer (stays 70 degrees inside even when its bumping 100 outside). There is a heat vent at the foot of the bed just behind the center tv console. Other than the general routine maintenance I can't complain about it one bit. As others have mentioned though with every trailer no matter what the brand there comes a certain amount of tolerance with lack of QC at the factory and some "fix it yourself if you want it done right". Long story short a little over 2 years later I would not change a thing and would purchase our trailer again without any regrets

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote