Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2009 Sunset Trails SF27RE 5th wheel. I want to add a 5th Airborne Pin Box for help with the bouncing.

My current Pin Box is 12" wide.

I plan to buy it myself but have it installed.

Are there various models anyone could recommend?

Curt slider hitch

2010 F250 crew cab

thx!

Rich
Texas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I suspect you have a lippert pin box. If you do there should be a model number of the pin box on it. If so let us know what that model number is and we can be of more help.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I replaced mine with the Demco Glide right could not be happier Got it at Tweety's There is a number on the pin box write that number down. You will need it for your replacement. that part number gives them all the right info for your replacement

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

The only ID stamped on the pin box is ...

4V0FC27289A009045

Thx
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

That looks like my VIN format.

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

If your trailer is still within the frame warranty period I would call Lippert first and ask them about what it will do to your warranty if you change the pinbox. Our trailer came from Lippert with a Sidewinder installed by them so it was covered but if I had done it within the warranaty period they could have voidedthe frame warranty. If you are outside the warranty periodgo for it.Lippert seems to cover warranty issues based on what kind ofmood they are in that day.....
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Lippert should be able to tell you the pinbox model if you give them the serial number. If not, measure it. Then, go to http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/QCCP.pdf where you will find the numbers which will tell you the model.

Note: Even though I linked to a Pullrite page, the numbers are universal.

Having said all of that, are you sure the bouncing is something which can/will be corrected with a different pin box? When you say it bounces, what do you mean? Are you experiencing "chucking" which moves your head front to back each time your truck goes over an expansion joint or are you experiencing something different? Can you describe the motion you're getting? For example, you might be able to cure the problem with air bags on the truck or Timbrins http://www.timbren.com/ which are considerably less expensive.

You might be able to correct the problem without going to a new box and save money at the same time. If the problem is in the truck suspension, for example, a new pin box won't solve anything except for that excess bulge in your left rear pocket.

Edited by: jeb

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

My pin box model number was on the nose of the box just above the pin. My Cruiser had a LIPP 1621 which I used a 5AB-E1621-16k 5th Airborne. I purchased it from RVdirect for about $670 which included freight. The new box is not difficult to replace but may require two men depending on the equipment you have. I have a hoist in the ceiling of my shop so was able to do it alone in about 1 hour. One piece of advice is to measure the distance from the pin to the ground before and after the install. That way you will know if the height of the new pin will be correct.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks for everyone’s help!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

I reviewed/investigated further as I read each post�and continued to read the many posts in rv.net too.

Here are a few I found a while back which I found helpful and bookmarked�

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23705087/print/true.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/18554863.cfm

Additionally, I contacted both Crossroads and Lippert who both helped a lot and determined I have a Lippert 1621 Pin Box.

An old phrase of mine keeps coming up “I don’t know, what I don’t know� and in reading the posts, I learn so much!

I was reminded that the level of the trailer also affects the ride (same as a bumper pull)�which I know rides a half bubble high in front. So I need to lower the 5<SUP>th</SUP> hitch and consider that when installing the new pin box.

I selected a 5<SUP>th</SUP> Airborne and Lippert confirmed it will not affect my warranty.

I plan to order from Tweety’s, have it installed and then off to Lost Maples for the foliage!

Again thx for the help!

Texas4