Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

When sliding the slider hitch to maneuvering position how do most of you do it? Do you lower the lower landing gear jacks first to take some of the weight off the hitch or do you just trip the slider hitch latch, lock the trailer wheels and pull up until it is latched in the maneuvering position?

2006 Cruiser CF25RS

15K Reese Slider

https://thumb18.webshots.net/t/75/175...8ymYwCx_th.jpg
ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I simply move the slider lever to maneuver position, lock the trailer brakes and pull the truck forward or back until it slides and locks. Pretty simple procedure, just make sure it is actually locked.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

This is how I do it. First I put the slider hitch lever into the Manueover position, then I put the truck into Drive with my foot on the brakes. I operate the manual lever on the brake controller to maximum output. I release the brakes on the truck and let it move forward on the idle if possible. If I need to add a little gas, it is only slightly, to get the truck moving while the trailer remains stationary. The trailer will move the slider back until it engages and locks. Take it real easy when doing this, because it can make a disconcerting bang. To put the hitch back to the tow position use the same procedure only put the lever to Tow and the transmission in reverse.

I don't have the manual anymore but I believe that is how Reese suggested that it be done.Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I do the same as Stan. I did forget one time that I had not already pull forward and goosed the gas and slammed the hitch to the rear. It woke me and the passengers in the truck up in a hurry. One key is to always keep your mind on what your doing when sliding the hitch. Lesson Learned.. I have had a few over the years. Some costly and some not.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I also do the same as Stan, and I also manually adjust my trailer brake sensitivity to max. Often after hitch adjustment, I will forget to re set the brake sensitivity back to normal. The first time you tap the break pedal everyone within the area will know you're here.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korbe & Diana
I also do the same as Stan, and I also manually adjust my trailer brake sensitivity to max. Often after hitch adjustment, I will forget to re set the brake sensitivity back to normal. The first time you tap the break pedal everyone within the area will know you're here.

It's not necessary to adjust the brake sensitivity, if you have an manual override control on your brake controller. On our Prodigy, I just pull the manual lever located under the controller fully to the left, to apply maximum current to the brakes. Once the slider hitch has changed position, I simply release the manual lever on the brake controller and it springs back to its null position.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I didn't know that. This very appreciated sensitivity information will save me a bunch of embarrassment.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote