Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
New Camper

Ive been looking pretty hard for a 60-64" sofa bed for our Cruiser for a few weeks without any luck. Obviously a new one would be great but the wince on my wife's face at 850.00 additional in the camping budget for a new one indicates I best keep looking. Any help out there for a fellow RV'er really would be appreciated!
Rockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You probably can spend less on a sofa bed but if you do, only let people you don't want staying with you to sleep on it. The extra money will buy you a better quality Sofa-bed; something that you'll be able to sleep on. Your DW may have to change her mind about the cost.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

RockDad...I too have looked for a replacement without much luck. They are either too large (standard queen for the house) or too small (love seat). If you locate something, please post here to let others know.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I took out my mostly worthless jack-knife sofa and replaced it with one from IKEA. It is 55" wide and folds out into a full size bed. I bought the sofa frame, mattress, and cover (which is comes in a ton of colors and is washable)....all for about $250. It doesn't look as fancy as the sofa that came with our trailer, but it is way more comfortable for sitting and sleeping.

I also built a small table to slide in next to the sofa for drinks, magazines, etc. We like it much better now.

I did keep the sofa that came with the trailer to put back in there if we ever sell because it matches the decor so well.

3 Sons, 2 Daughters-in-Law

1 Daughter, 1 Son-in-Law

1 Grandson, 2 Grandaughters

2012 Sunset Trail 26BH
4AggiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
New Camper

Thanks friends for the replies. It gives me a gauge of where I actually am on this.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

My Zinger only has room for the jack knife loveseat size "sofa", wich is really only big enough for a small kid to sleep on. I built an ottaman that is aslong as the couch. When the jack nife is opened to a bed and i slide the ottaman against it, it becones a comefortable full sized bed. I had two mostly grown teens sleep on it and they thought it was great. $120 for materials and about 4 hours time.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
New Camper

We ended up in Elkhart Ind at Factory RV Surplus. They had a warehouse full of furniture and about anything else you can think of. We got a 60" Leather (imitation leather) Jackknife that matched the Cruisers interior and seems to be well built. Luann was happier about the discounted 515.00 price over 850.00+ I was initially finding. I explored the Ikea option as 4AggiesMom posted. For us it turned out either shipping or the day off work plus 200 miles travel expense to the nearest Ikea store was going to put it in the pretty pricey range. I had no idea Ikea's werent everywhere?

However going the jackknife option we gave up pull out bed length. For us we figured it will work since we camp alone and we're not sleeping in it anyway and those we camp with pull their own trailers. Our kids can manage it should they ever choose to tag along again.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Mike

My wife is making noises about removing the couch in our Zinger and replacing it with two recliners. Any comment?
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

All,
We just got back from the 2012 Factory Rally. While there the DW and I went to Mastercraft and Lambright in Shipshewana to look for new furniture. Our RKX has a 9' couch that folds out to a full-size bed, but with a 4 inch mattress that we've added a 3" memory foam topper to. It works great for the grandkids but I wouldn't sleep on it. That being said we were able to find a nice 64 and 72 inch sofa that fold out into a queen size bed with a very heavy duty airbed, that I 'would' sleep on. We were able to find material we like for it that matches our decor so we'll be ordering it next spring and picking it up while at the rally. Lambright (Amish builders) will also build me a custom recliner rocker using the same material (we will order it ourself) and we can get that at the same time as well. The couch will cost $900 and the chair will be $800 and while that seems steep to some, it will be the last we'll have to order I'm pretty sure of that. They will install them into the unit for me and I don't think this is too much for custom built furniture. I hope this helps.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for all the great info on this topic. I wondered the same thing as we had guests sleep 3 nights on our uncomfortable pull out sofa.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Jim B.

Has my wife been talking to your wife?

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I can only tell you that after much research, we decided on the CT28RKX because of the 71" by 79" sofa bed to accomodate us, when my 87 yr mother is camping with us. She gets and deserves the master bedroom....we looked and this is best for my 6'3 husband and I.....
One owner of the same model told me he took a trip to amish country to mfg and is going to replace the 9'sofa with a smaller one and a swifle rocker....that may be your best bet...I think his online is tator447. I bet he can help you...he has helped us immensely.....
malysc

if that is not his right id, will look and let you know
malysc
Old 08-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #13
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Horseman
Mike

My wife is making noises about removing the couch in our Zinger and replacing it with two recliners. Any comment?
It works if your not the couch lounger type or the couch cuddlier type couple. We ran into that at home with our big sectional that actually doesnt have couch per se' but arm tables and built in lounge chairs. Its a beautiful sectional but we discovered we didn't like it since we prefer to be close together. And no we are not newlyweds
Old 08-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Snuggle or sit side by side? Been married 49 years, it's all about the same at this point.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #15
New Camper

Now thats funny...I think?