Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Exclamation 911! Blew fuses, now no A/C

Hi again everyone. Bad situation.

We screwed up when replacing our battery which had been stolen and hooked it up backwards. Awesome. Blew both the 40 amp fuses, and I realized this when I saw there was no readout on my thermostat.
I ordered new fuses that just came, and replaced them. As soon as I put the top one in, the usual sort of humming sound started in the fuse box area. (I'm sorry, I don't know what the part is really called.)
Unfortunately, there is still no display on my thermostat, so no air conditioning, which is bad- it's brutally hot here at the moment. No furnace either, but I rarely use that anyway. Is it toast?

Fast help is very much appreciated!

honey
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
nursehoneybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Site Team

I believe there is a fuse in the stat. Probably have to take the cover off to get to it.
I think you will find other things that don't work also. Most all can be fixed by finding and replacing the fuse.
Good luck.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I think there is a fuse inside your thermostat. Did you check?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

We must have posted at the same time. Lol

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Site Team

I would start with the converter/fuse box where you replaced the 40 amp fuse then pull the other fuses one at a time and I would bet you have more blown fuses. I have a older t stat so my fuse is in the converter. Good luck!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thank you all!! You were right- I popped the front off the thermostat and there was a little glass 2.5 amp in there that was toast. I just hope we can find one.
I don’t think that trick will work on my DVD/stereo though, that’s the only other thing I’ve found so far that won’t turn on. It’s the built-in unit, I think it says Jansen? The TV is ok. Microwave came on, fridge working on AC power. None of the breakers were blown, but I shut them all off and turned on again anyway. I pulled all of the 15 amp fuses, and none of them appeared to be blown- they are not precisely the same type as the 40 amp, but the connection in the middle seemed to be intact on all of them. Something strange though, only two of them actually had the red LED beside them turn on when I pulled the fuse. Anyone know why that would be?
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Old 08-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

The Jensen should have a 12v fuse and maybe a reset button. Check the Jensen website for a manual and tech support.
Jensen RV Direct - Shop Premium Audio & Video RV Electronics
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I unscrewed the Jensen unit and pulled it out, but I haven’t got the slightest idea where to look for a fuse on it. It’s just a tangle of wires out the back of it, and I’m not an A/V person at all. I didn’t see any buttons or anything. I’ll have to fiddle with it a bit or recruit someone that knows about this stuff- hopefully it’s not toasted. Thanks for your reply! I will keep trying.
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Old 08-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

The fuse could be an inline fuse in the 12v feed wire or an internal fuse. It might also be fused at the converter. Jensen folks could tell you if it is an internal fuse.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Look in your Jensen manual if you have it if not Google Jensen -your model # - manual. I just looked at some and they had a reset button in the left lower corner. You would need something like a round toothpick to push it in . As I do not know what model you have this is at best a guess. Also on the ones I looked at the fuse was at the converter. Hope this will help.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

My experience with the Jensen DVD player is reverse voltage will not blow the fuse but WILL fry the internal circuits. New unit time.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursehoneybadger View Post
I don’t think that trick will work on my DVD/stereo though, that’s the only other thing I’ve found so far that won’t turn on. It’s the built-in unit, I think it says Jansen?...
I, too, connected the battery the wrong way and blew the 40 amp fuse in the electrical distribution panel,plus the in-line fuse of the Jensen radio/cd player. In my case, the in-line fuse was inside a black plastic covering.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Yeah the white is ground black is positive battery connection is counterintuitive for most 12 volt automotive systems in the US. And before anyone says anything, I realize this is a travel trailer, but it is still a trailer.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

The red lights that you see in your inverter box when you pull a fuse are indicators, typically to indicate that the fuse next to it is blown. That is in normal condition when you pull them out. Indicates the fuse is blown or gone, so everything is working the way it should. Does your radio have any indication that there is power to it, like the clock?
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote