Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello,

I have a 2012 GT29BH and I was wondering if I could run my AC on a 15 amp service?

Someone suggested that I only run it when hooked up to a 30 amp service only..

Would it work if nothing else is turned on?

Will I damage my compressor motor?

Thanks for your help and comments,

Eric

Edited by: gadou
gadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

It will not run for very long. I don't know what size of AC you have, bur it is probably going to pull 13 - 16 amps depending on the load and size. Breakers usually trip if they are above 80% of their capacity for very long. Probably would not do the AC any good either.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

If you run it on a 15 amp circuit that has nothing elseon it, it will run. I ran our 13,500 unit like this acouple times and it did run but if there is anything else on the circuit that kicks on and off it willpop the breaker. As mention above, you don't know what damage you are doing to the A/C unit by shorting it of power. You are better off running a 30 amp circuit to an rv plug so you can plug it in as if youare in a campground.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

If you have the 13,500 btu/h, rated load is 14.9 A. The 15,000 btu/h is 15.3 A. (Specs from Dometic's current data sheet as I don't have my actual spec sheets in front of me)

A/C units should be on a circuit that has a capacity of 1.75 times the rated load (Per NEC), which comes out to around 26A.

So, you really should have a 30A circuit.

Also considering that the 2012 GT29BH is a beautiful travel trailer, I'd say don't risk breaking it.

<strike>2004 Dodge Durango</strike>

2009 GMC Sierra 1500

2012 Slingshot GT29BH
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Get one of these, http://www.amazon.com/P3-Internation.../dp/B00009MDBU, and plug it into an outlet. For general usage leave it on the scale that monitors voltage. If you want to know if it is safe to run your air conditioner just look at the monitor when the air is running. If the voltage drops significantly when the air is on then it is too much load for the 15 amp service. Normal voltage should be around 115-120. If it drops under 110 I'd start getting concerned. If it drops under 100 UNPLUG!!!

I was at a newly constructed marina one time and they didn't have their electricity wired yet. They were providing electricity by running LONG extension cords to each boat. People were running their AC appliances on 90 volts! I tried to warn them that was not a good thing to do but few people listened. The following morning many people had AC items that were no longer working. The most critical units are ones that have motors, like AC. Most toasters wouldn't care, they just would give you very good toast.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thank you guys!!!

That's what I was affraid of.

I'm going to visit a friend of mine this weekend and I will be "camping" in his driveway. So the only power available will be a regular outlet from the garage or the house. And they are calling for very hot weather.

I will try to get one of these meter.

Thanks again!!!

Eric

Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

As an example of what I posted above, we are unloading the 5er from our last trip. It is connected to a 15 amp household outlet, via a 100 foot extension cord, to maintain the battery and keep the fridge cold. My wife wanted the air conditioner because it is getting hot. When the fridge was running the voltage was 116, with the fridge and air it was 101. We unloaded the fridge and then turned it off. With only the air running the voltage was 108. This is marginal but not dangerous. 101 was getting a bit dicey!!!

If you plug a device directly into the outlet on the meter it will give you information about that individual device, such as how much current it draws and how much wattage it uses. By simply leaving the meter plugged in all the time, and on the voltage scale, it acts as a digital voltage monitor.

You'll notice that we are using a 100 foot extension cord. If you can get close enough to your friends house so you don't need anything except the 5er's regular cord, and an adapter for the outlet, you may be OK with the air and fridge at the same time. Don't try it however without a monitor. Also, don't get complacent and start running other AC devices without turning something else off and watching the monitor.

Hope this helps,

Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

While we are on this type of subject, let me mention something I see too many people doing...they have their extension cord on a nice reel so that it stores easily. When they use the extension cord they pull off just enough to cover the distance they need, leaving the remaining amount of cord on the reel. Without going into all of the technical reasons, let me offer this advice...ALL of the cord should be taken off the reel and, if necessary, laid in a wide, loose, zigzag pattern to use up the extra.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the explanation Cygnus Sailor.

I was planning on running only the AC. I would leave the fridge on propane.

As for the extension cord....my father in law did this to my 100 foot extension..he did not unwind while using a pressure washer and melted and cooked my extension, which by the way was good one! He was complaining that I had a cheap extension.

I'll get one of these meters for sure, look pretty usefull. Just hope I wont overload it since it says 15 amps max. I don't think the AC is over that.

Thanks for your time and explanations.

Eric

Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

20-amp circuit would be better...I would think you might be able to find one in his garage. Also, don't forget to run your water heater on gas too. When we do camp driveway at the wifes parents house in Minnesota, there is a 20-amp circuit in the barn that I connect to. I also have changed over ALL of my lighting to LED to minimize my current draw for these type of arrangements. I make sure the AC has as much juice as possible, especially when the temps are in the low 90's.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Forgot...good tip on the electric monitor device....will need to look into that.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to mlsawmill
We have run our 13.5 A/C on a 20 amp breaker using a 110 foot 10 cord and had no trouble.

Did try it on a lighter cord and it poped the breaker after awhile.

Also in the barn where we keep the camper I have it hooked up a 20 breaker and can run the 15 A/c with no problems.

One time when my brother came for a visit we hook him up a 20 breaker {he had a motor home} and when us guys came back from the store his wife poped the breaker trying to run the A/C and vacumn. I than installed a 30 breaker in the electric panel and had no trouble.

I carry a 10 gage 50 foot ext. cord and also a 30 amp 25 foot ext. cord with me just in case we need a long cord..

I do keep a 110 volt meter pluged in so I know what power is in the camper,
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advices.

This is really great help!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

We camped at a campground a few nights ago thatsupposedly had 30AMPs but when we turned on the AC, water heater and TV their breaker tripped. We turned everything off except the AC and it worked but would hear a deep rumble from it when it ran. I believe it was because they had really weak power at the campground and I was worried that some damage might be done to my AC. So far it's working great but I'm sure it couldn't have been good on it.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

At some of the older campgrounds we have been at need to install new outlets.

I have finger nail files (the ones that are on wood) and sometimes have to cut them down some to fit in an electric plug.

MAKE SURE the power is off...... use the finger nail file and clean the outlet.

And also make sure your plug is clean.

I can tell you 2 of the parks here in Texas that we (our camping group) had trouble with the electric.

This does work for we have done it and you get better contact.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

you know some people go into all this technical stuff and if you understand it that is great.

But for many of us simple things are better.

I for one just feel the plug and if it HOT, I know the connection is not getting good contact or the cord is too light.

As far as uncoiling the cord goes, maybe it is ok.

But in my shop I use the auto wind cord reels and never have had a problem with them and run table saws, sanders and many other tools using a cord on a reel.

The cord has to be heavy enough to take the load.

Melted cords and plugs are from not using the right cord.

Just my 2 cents.....

When the power was out here a couple of times.

I ran cords across the street, for we had power, and 2 of the people on the other side of the street ran off my electric and we never had trouble.

We did for 2 weeks.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Well, I got myself a meter and tried it.

123 volts with nothing running and it went down to 116-117 with the AC running and everything else off.

So I guess I'll be good.

Thanks again!