Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

A/C Service - maintenance

Instead of digging through piles of manuals for this answer, can anyone tell me about A/C maintenance on Cruisers? I have two units, both cooling well, but I feel like I need to add "Freon" or do something. They are 4 years old and continue to work well. Should they be serviced? If so, is it a DIY or DIYDW?
I'd be interested in anyone's advice or experience.
Thanks,
Max
Dodge 3500 Turbo Diesel 4X4
2012 CF305SKDF Cruiser Patriot
Max Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have had a similar question and all the research I have done, you dont add freon like a normal A/C. They are more like your home refrigerator and are a closed system. The only thing I have done is keep the outside cooling fins clean and added a drop or two of oil to the fan shaft (which is sometimes not recommended, depending on what you read). I also clean the inside filters regularly. I am not a A/C tech by any means, just do alot of research on how to maintain the things I own to get the max life and minimal problems from them.
zerch911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Most rv A/C's cannot be recharged. Maintenance for them is to clean the inside filter. To clean filters inside your RV, remove the filter, wash it with water, shake it out and reinstall it. A clean filter allows air to flow better.

Your outside unit can accumulate dust, dirt and leaves. It’s a good idea to keep the unit clean so air can flow through it properly.

To clean your roof unit, first remove its housing. Take a hose and wash the condensing unit by running water over the coils. The coils will dry when you restart you’re A/C.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:49 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

One thing that has always bugged me is that POS filter on these units. No matter how often you clean or change it, the evaporator is gonna get dirty. I've cleaned ours before, but it is a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
One thing that has always bugged me is that POS filter on these units. No matter how often you clean or change it, the evaporator is gonna get dirty. I've cleaned ours before, but it is a PITA.

Is that an inside or outside filter u are talking about. I have never taken the lid off the top so I don't know. Thanks
Max Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Inside filter. There is actually no outside filter. There is an outside access panel to get to the evaporator.

I thought Dometic had quit making the Genesis air filtration system, but I found them online. Think I'll invest in a couple of those.

http://www.dyersonline.com/catalog/p...lery/id/10459/

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

With any RV I've owned, I've only washed out the inside filters a couple times per season and cleaned the roof top cover and condenser with a hose every other year.

watch for bees and wasps when you take off the outside cover.

I've also been told if your unit is running continuously you should keep the fan running on high. If you lower the fan speed to the low setting it can freeze up.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote