Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

I live in CA and I don't drain mine. I keep water in the tank and gas in the gen for disaster prep. The Northridge earthquake knocked out all our utilities. No sense going through that again.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
I live in CA and I don't drain mine. I keep water in the tank and gas in the gen for disaster prep. The Northridge earthquake knocked out all our utilities. No sense going through that again.
Good point. I too, think about the rv as a emergency option, if necessary.
I lived in Santa Clarita during the Northridge earthquake. Woke up to the walls moving, glass breaking, cabinets and TV's falling, not to mention, jumping out of bed to check on the kids. Something you don't forget!
Later, when trying to get to work, I remember wondering if I should drive under freeway bridges, seeing the damage and cracks. Crazy times!

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #23
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Good point. I too, think about the rv as a emergency option, if necessary.
I lived in Santa Clarita during the Northridge earthquake. Woke up to the walls moving, glass breaking, cabinets and TV's falling, not to mention, jumping out of bed to check on the kids. Something you don't forget!
Later, when trying to get to work, I remember wondering if I should drive under freeway bridges, seeing the damage and cracks. Crazy times!
We live in Santa Clarita too. We lived over in Canyon Country back then and I had to get to a meeting up in Bakersfield that morning. I was driving south on the 14 to get to the NB 5 to get up to Bako. I was two exits away from the interchange that fell down, where the CHP officer drove off and was killed. Very close call for me.

I turned around and went home to check on my wife who was pregnant at the time and our young daughter. When I got home she was standing on the front porch holding our daughter and hoping I'd come home to help out. It was still a few hours before sunup, so we just sat out in my truck and listened to news on the radio until it was light enough to go back inside and start picking up broken stuff. What a mess. That was a day we'll never forget.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

Wow,
I lived up Bouquet Cyn at the time and made it to the old diner/hotel at the 5 frwy and Magic Mountain Pkwy. The old place just to the south, now a Holiday Express.
Here I met the truck driver that was on the high bridge over Pico Cyn that had collapsed at an angle. He slammed on his brakes with a huge load and turned just enough on that "angle" to keep from going over the edge. Something he wouldn't have survived.
Yes, an amazing day that you won't ever forget.
I know we have planned for these type of emergencies for the future but you never know what to expect.
Our trailer has groceries, water, fuel, etc for at least 2 weeks worth.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #25
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
The old place just to the south, now a Holiday Express.
If you watch enough NCIS reruns, you'll see many episodes where they find the dead body or surround the suspects at that place.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:13 PM   #26
Seasonal Camper

This morning I dropped off our rig at the dealer for some warranty service. They'll have it for about two weeks. Then this morning the state Office of Emergency Services issued an earthquake warning for our area. Wouldn't you know it. I've kept our rolling disaster prep kit stocked for all these years, and now that it's at the dealer for two weeks the state issues a warning. I doubt anything will come of it though.