Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Ac and refrigerator question

So I bought a salvage rv so I’m sure I’ll be asking a lot of what might seem like basic questions as I have never owned one before . Ok so I got a dog bone connector plugged into my 15 amp and my ac turned on and blew ice cold air what a relief it actually works wrong... it kicked down to a lower speed shut offwon’t come back on now but I can here a click now the breakers seem all fine . Next question is I have refrigerator lights inside of it but when I push the power button I get nothing at all any ideas? Thanks for any help you guys might have to offer .
Bobbyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome. I will address the refrigerator. You say you have lights but the refrigerator will not come on. I am assuming that you have a camper refrigerator and they work different then the one at home. The one at home makes cold air the one in the camper is a heat absorption unit meaning it takes out heat leaving cold. If you are on electric and turn it on you will not hear any sound as there is a heating element in the back that heats up so it is quiet.

If on gas you need to be plugged in to 110 for the converter to provide 12 volts or have a good battery for the source of 12 volts if not hooked up to 110. The 12 volts provides a source of ignition for the gas and also for the control board.

The other thing to remember is that it may take over night for it to cool down. We turn ours on the day before the wife loads it a couple days before a trip. Now some people leave theirs on all the time but we do not camp every weekend so we do not.

Just Google " how does a rv refrigerator work" And it will explain it.

Another thought a 15 amp is pushing it to run the ac let alone anything along with it.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Are you using a long extension cord? The longer the line run voltage drops and amperage increases. Also, you should be on a 30 amp circuit. When compressor relays pull in there is a temporary spike on the start winding until it drops out and you're running on the run winding.
paguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Your air conditioner won’t work on the standard 15amp outlet. You need a 30a outlet.

Get it plugged in properly and it will be fine.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Factoid - most RV fridges run on ammonia, there is no compressor. It is an absorbtion style fridge.
Unless it is a regular domestic fridge.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Alright thanks for all the advice guys. Now as far as 30 amp never dealing with this before is this just 220? Can I buy adapter to plug into my shop without taking the rug to a camp site?
Bobbyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

The 30amp for your RV IS 110 VOLT. Do not plug it in to a 220 outlet you will fry your convertor.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote