Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
New Camper

So I've recently purchased a 2006 Cruiser model 29CK 5th wheel, triple slide. My wife, daughter and I love this camper! We've used 5 times so far. The first 3 times, we had no issues at all. Then last two times I've used it, I've had an issue with AC and/or breaker tripping. Just trying to determine what might be the issue(s) and if anyone else has had similar problems? We've done all of our camping in South Carolina, so all trips have been fairly hot, however last 2 trips have been the hottest. The AC seems to work fairly well, but at times it does seem to have some "drag" like it is not drawing enough electrical current, does not seem to be running strong, somewhat weak. When we've tripped the breaker, one time I had a toaster and coffee maker running on same circuit, plus AC was on. I've also had the hot water heater on electric rather than gas. So just wondering if anyone has had similar issues with a Crossroads/Cruiser with breakers tripping similar to mine.

I'm in need of having my decals replaced, so anyone with information on that would, I would be very grateful!!

Thanks for any feedback help on this!!

Mrush29CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Everyone in the campground would have their air running also so the demand on hydro would be high and probably result in low voltage at times.We also had a hot week here in Ontario Can. mid 90"s all week .We had a 30 amp site so we ran the hot water and fridge on propane.Our Progressive surge protecter did trip twice that week due to low voltage.If it is that hot again I would try running on propane to at least lighten your own draw on hydro.Can't comment on decals.

2011 250 super duty

2012 Cruiser 305

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...h_89f92fae.jpg
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

AC, Coffee Maker and toaster did you have everything else on the 120 volt system? That is a lot of load. Back off on similatenous electric use.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy
AC, Coffee Maker and toaster did you have everything else on the 120 volt system? Â*That is a lot of load. Â*Back off on similatenous electric use. Â*
X2

Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

If I remember correctly, back threm they had the AC and hot water heater on the same circuit Turn it to gas the blow dryer will blow also
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Our old 2005 Cruiser 29RK had the AC and WH wired into the same breaker and we would pop the AC breaker on really hot days. I had an extra slot in the breaker box soI moved the AC to it's own breaker (was a long time ago but I think it was a20 amp) and we never had another issue. If you have an available slot in your breaker box I would move the AC to it's own breaker. Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Your trailer has 30 AMPS service at 120 volts. This provides a maximum of 3600 watts of power. (watts = amps x volts).

Breakers are designed to trip when they exceed 80% load for more than a few seconds. So a 20 amp breaker will trip when it exceeds 16 amps (or 1920 watts).

A coffee maker will draw between 1000 and 1500 watts depending on whether it is brewing or just keeping the coffee warm. A toaster will draw 1700 watts. Hair dryers are huge hogs drawing over 1700 watts.

Your AC unit will draw 20 amps (2400 watts) at start-up and back off to about 18 amps (2160 watts) while running.

You do the math. You have a total power budget in your trailer of 3600 watts - it doesn't take long to exceed that.

On hot days you should definitely run your water heater on propane. Switching your refrigerator to propane will also help. Turn your AC off if you are going to use a hair dryer or the microwave.

With just a little bit of power management you will be fine and avoid any problems.

Good luck!

Edited by: RKamperRV
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Ditto what Hunter 11 said. New (to us) 2005 Crossroads, first time out in the summer, breaker tripped. After some investigation, I found that the AC and another device/circuit tied to the same same 20 amp beaker. I had some available slots, so i moved the AC to its' own breaker, and no problems since. Of course the other poster talking about loads/watts is correct too. Your AC is going to draw a lot of power, add in other resistive loads like coffee maker, heater, hair dryer, etc., you've overloaded your 30 amp service. Not the same thing with that 100/200 amp service at home.