Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

AC just stopped working….looking for advice……<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Yesterday I turned on my AC and it does not blow cold air. I believe the compressor is kicking on, but immediately kicks off. I say this based on watching my electricity meter. When I turn it on the needle spikes to the low range and then immediately kicks to the mid-range. Since Oct 2005 when we purchased our Cruiser new, we have had zero problems with our AC, it has worked great. This week, all of a sudden and without any warning of trouble it just stops working. One weekend it worked fine all weekend….the next it didn’t.

My unit is the Dometic Dou-Therm (model 59516.531). The fan works fine but the compressor will not stay on. I’m certainly not an AC person but I have been reading some on the internet.

Is it reasonable to think it is simply the capacitor or the starter that has gone bad?
Is there any kind of work-around?
I contacted my service center and they said these AC’s have a life expectancy of 7-8 years….is that correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Given the age of the unit I would think the cheapest thing you could try would be a new start capacitor. If that did not cure the problem then I would say a trip to the dealer or Camping World would be in order.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Keith,

Is 7-8 years about normal for an RV AC?

And around $1500 - $1800 (15K installed) sound about right?

Let's go camping!!!

Houston, Texas
Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Terry, I guess it depends on how much you use it over that 7 to 8 year period.

$1500 to $1800 for a new 15k unit installed sounds high to me. CW shows a 15k Dometic unit for $781.65 plus $125 shipping and I can't imagine it being that much more to install it. You have a CW in Katy, I would call them and see what they tell you on a new one installed.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcamper
AC just stopped working….looking for advice……</span>
</span>
Yesterday I turned on my AC and it does not blow cold air. I believe the compressor is kicking on, but immediately kicks off. I say this based on watching my electricity meter. When I turn it on the needle spikes to the low range and then immediately kicks to the mid-range.
</span>Any advice would be greatly appreciated. </span>
Is it possible where you are plugged in that it just isn't supplying you with enough power?
Sure sounds like the AC is tripping out due to low voltage.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, I just saw his post over on rv.net that he has it plugged into using and RV extension cord and I suggested he try removing that and plug straight in. I have used a 25' 50 amp extension cord on our trailer and run both AC units but it is at a place I know has a good power supply.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Guys....sorry to double post......in both forums.

I do use the little $15 plug-in meter and I'm always safely in the green zone. This is the exact set-up I have been using for the rigs entire life when its at my house....and never a problem.

I can run the AC, the frig, lights...and the boom box.

I can not get it close enough to my socket to not use the extension cord.

Let's go camping!!!

Houston, Texas
Old 09-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

You might try calling a heating/cooling company to check it out. I don't think rv A/C units are much different than any other A/C unit. It may be something simple like low freon (or whatever they use these days).

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Stan, I was reading a discussion about this subject on the DRV owners forum earlier this week.A guy that ws a retired AC tech said that the RV AC units do not have ports to check or fill freon (I think all the new ones have gone to R22). He said it would cost more to have a tech come out and install ports on an RV unit than just replacing the unit. I have been trying to research RV AC units with heat pumps because we are looking at going that route on our next unit.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I'm thinking the AC compressor is tripping the overload on it. Small round gizmo where the wires attach to the compressor. I have seen them get weak over the years and trip in hot weather. I put a new one on our Penguin on the old rv, and limped along for awhile. I can tell you, I ain't gonna pay $1500 to have a new one installed. I know they are a Chinese knock off, but the new Advent units can be had very reasonable on Ebay. I located one for a friend of mine on a fixed income. He had a couple friends help him install it. Everything else is made in China, why not a Chinese AC?

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote