Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2011 Slingshot 26 BH and we are on a 3 week trip currently. A couple of days ago the AC started to rattle. It still blows cold air and seems to be running fine, more annoying right now. Seems to rattle more on the high setting - obviously the fan. Not sure what to do right now. It rattles pretty constantly, but at times it louder that others.

I was going to go up on the roof and have a quick visual look and maybe take the cover off - would this be a good idea?

Thoughts/suggestions?
Rick in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
Site Team

It's possible something has gotten in on the fan and started to build a nest or a glob from mud dobbers. Ifyou go up and pull the shroud off you should be able to see if there is anything on the fan blades.
If that isn't the problem you might want to take the cover ring off the bottom of the unit on the inside and check to see if the bolts that secure it to the roof are loose. If they are, "don't" over tighten them.
They only have to be snug.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Ok I pull off the plastic cover inside the trailer, 4 screws, but the cover did not come all the way off - seems attached somehow at the one end - looks like there are two plugs there for something. I did manage to tighten two of the bolts which were loose. I probably could have tightened them even more but did not want to over tighten. Seems better and I will still check on the roof as well. Any help on getting the plastic cover on the inside fully off to tighten the two bolts I could not get at? I don't want to break the plastic cover.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Those two plugs are covers for two more screws. A thin knife blade can pry them out and then you're home free.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks - got the plugs out and was able to tighten all four bolts snug. Still a slight rattle, but I'll go up tomorrow and check the roof.
Thanks for your help Old Farmer and Luke - invaluable.