Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

AC Smell

I have a smell in our 2012 Sunset Trail 29SS Reserve, only when the Dometic AC is on. We can walk in the trailer and everything smells fine, as soon as the AC is started a wet, musty smell comes with it. When the AC is on, I can see it dripping, it runs down the roof, into the rain gutter and drips down from the gutter spout. I recently took the shoud off the AC, removed the cover over the evaporator coil and sprayed Dometic D1227001 Advanced AC Coil Cleaner, purchased from Amazon on both the condenser and evaporator coils. After I took the shroud off, the AC looked new, no dirt, dust or debris anywhere, sprayed it, which made no difference at all. When I had the shroud off, I could not see the drain hose, I had the AC turned on when I was on the roof and could see water dripping from a drain opening on the AC drain pan. When I left the trailer on Sunday, I turned the AC on 60 and let it run the past 3 days, just to see if this made any difference. When I returned to the trailer, the musty smell was still there. Anyone have any ideas?
Brox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you noticed any dripping or moisture inside the RV?
Anyway you might want to pull the shroud off the inside and see if anything is wet up there from it dripping/running in instead of out. Check and see if the four bolts are loose that hold the AC to the roof. If you find the need to tighten those four bolts, remember--do not over tighten!! They only need to be snug.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I have not noticed any drops inside the trailer, I can see that it is dripping out of the pan and into the rain gutter. When I look from the inside, I cannot see or feel anything wet. All I have done from inside is take out the filter, which is new, and inspected in there, I believe that is the condenser coil, is there anything else that can be seen from inside the trailer? I cannot seem to figure out how to inspect the AC from the inside where the cold air blows out.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Site Team

If it's like mine, you should be able to remove the trim ring around the outside edge of the unit (on the inside of the trailer) that will allow you to see what I was telling you in my previous post.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Ok, are the screws that hold the cover on hidden by plastic plugs? I will be returning to the camper on Friday morning and will be inspecting it from the inside.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:00 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Sounds to me like you may have something in the duct work. You might try sniffing the duct openings with the AC off and see if you notice the smell. I know old cars used to get smells in the vent system but could be sanitized. Regardless it has to be something that the air blows across or through.

I am sure you don't want to be breathing it though.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brox View Post
Ok, are the screws that hold the cover on hidden by plastic plugs? I will be returning to the camper on Friday morning and will be inspecting it from the inside.

Mine has four screws holding the cover on.
Here is a couple pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1977.jpg (174.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1978.jpg (119.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Great, thanks, I believe the screws in mine are just covered by plastics plugs, I will remove it tomorrow and take a look up in there. It is suppose to be hot and sunny on the weekend, do you think it would be a good idea to get back on the roof and remove the outside AC shroud and leave it off for the day to dry things out.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Water running down the outside of you rv is normal.

Here is a product that will help eliminate duct odors. Minder Research Clean Air Duct Treatment

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I am going to take the inside cover off tomorrow and will also get up on the roof and take the shroud off again to see if I can see anything else that maybe causing the smell. I noticed that the first time when I was on the roof, the AC was only draining on one side. Does anyone know if this is normal or is there a drain on both sides of the air conditioning unit. If all else fails, I will try that Clean Air Duct treatment.

thanks.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:22 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

The AC will drain to either side depending on the level of the RV.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:04 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
The AC will drain to either side depending on the level of the RV.
I understand that, I was just wondering if the roof top AC has drains on both sides of the unit or just one. On mine I only noticed the drain on one side, after I seen that the drain was not plugged, I did not even think to check the other side of the unit to see if the was a drain over there.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Ok took the inside cover off the a.c. today and everything looks clean and dry. ??? Not sure where to look next. Smell appears to be coming directly from the a.c. unit, not the ducts, when I stand directly under it, I can smell it. ??? Not sure what to try next.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Have you dropped the cover off the inside?
Maybe you've got a dead mouse family there.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Have you dropped the cover off the inside?
Maybe you've got a dead mouse family there.
I'm not going to show the wife that reply, lol. I did drop the inside cover, looked clean and dry. I put 3 drops of essential oil on the filter and it seems to have helped with the smell, still not sure what's causing the smell but the oil seems to masking it. When I get on the roof tomorrow, I may put a few drops of the oil on the drain tray. It is hot and humid here today, and I have a constant drop of water coming from the a.c. so I know the drain plug is not plugged.