Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Adco products cover

Purchased an Adco cover last Nov. for the camper. Went to unzip the cover and 2 out of the 4 zippers would not zip back up. Now, the cover is basically new. I've probably used the zippers 5-6 times over the course of the winter. After calling Adco, I was told how to "repair" the zippers, with WD-40 and a set of pliers. Has anyone who has one of these covers encountered this? I was concerned that I would have to do this more often that not, so Adco gave me an option for a one time replacement under warranty. I hate to use the warranty so soon (6 months), but without the zippers working, it makes the cover useless. Still waiting on an email from Adco with directions on how to start the process.
weaselz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Ahhhh covers are not recomended
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Yes, but the cover is the better option because where the camper is parked during the winter months.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

The covers can actually do more damage. They slide and shift, wearing the top layer of the gelcoat.

Your in warm climate, if you don't mind me askin' , why the cover?

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Try to keep the pine needles and such off the camper.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Your trading one problem for another. Those covers wear the gel coat where they make contact with the trailer. I'm up north and have to store indoors with the harsh winters, but I would imagine a couple of really good coats of wax and you're better off without the cover. The problem is even the best covers loosen over time and rub against the finish. Also, they tend to mold underneath during periods of high humidity. Do the pine droppings really do that much damage?

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have also heard they can break your gutter spouts and cause a leak.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
New Camper

Wow, these responses are surprising to me. I know nothing about RVs, but I was thinking about getting a cover for our 2016 Super Lite because of the harsh WI winters. Is there anything that I can put on the camper over the winter? Should I at least cover the AC unit? I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to add a question someone else's thread, I'm new to the forum world.
Tonialax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

A AC cover is fine.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonialax View Post
Wow, these responses are surprising to me. I know nothing about RVs, but I was thinking about getting a cover for our 2016 Super Lite because of the harsh WI winters. Is there anything that I can put on the camper over the winter? Should I at least cover the AC unit? I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to add a question someone else's thread, I'm new to the forum world.

You are doing fine so far.

If you can find inside storage, that's the best.
Just be a little choosey about what you park it in for the winter. Some farmers pole shed that is half full of hay or straw, will more then likely have an ample supply of rodents.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I've had a premium Adco cover over our ST25RB for past 2 years (and not just winter......covered whenever not travelling with it) and noticed absolutely NO fading, rubbing or any kind of wear damage to the trailer. If anything these premium covers keep brown cap & decals from fading or cracking., not to mention preventing caulking prematurely drying out and cracking as well. I think the overall gain is well worth covering it. And the material it's made from does "breathe". Parking it for 80% of the time under direct sun can not be good for the rv. I agree indoor parking would be best, but they are hard to find. I kinda prefer trailer parked next to my house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonemeister View Post
I've had a premium Adco cover over our ST25RB for past 2 years (and not just winter......covered whenever not travelling with it) and noticed absolutely NO fading, rubbing or any kind of wear damage to the trailer. If anything these premium covers keep brown cap & decals from fading or cracking., not to mention preventing caulking prematurely drying out and cracking as well. I think the overall gain is well worth covering it. And the material it's made from does "breathe". Parking it for 80% of the time under direct sun can not be good for the rv. I agree indoor parking would be best, but they are hard to find. I kinda prefer trailer parked next to my house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. There are pros and cons to all options. I've always found that keeping a trailer out of the sunlight uv and clean from general grime with a cover was better than cleaning and waxing all the time. Covers are a pain to put on and don't last well but are a (relatively) cheap alternative to a building.

I haven't ever noticed any rubbing damage but personally feel that the sun and elements are the bigger problem. IMHO it would be better to buff and wax an occasional rub (if you did have one) than worry continually about black streaks and fading. Others feel differently. (And aren't as lazy as I am.)
stormseeker is offline   Reply With Quote