Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
New Camper

Air conditioner constantly running

Hey everyone! Proud new owner of a 2012 Slingshot 32QB. We took it out a month ago and are going again next month. Just had a question regarding the air conditioner, as I can't seem to find the info anywhere.

When the AC is on, it blows cold and everything is fine. However, when it cools down, the fan continuously runs and runs. Is this normal in the Slingshot? My in laws have a different model and the fans only blow when cooling (like an air conditioning unit at home).

Thanks in advance for your responses!
rrh1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

There should be a fan switch on the thermostat that says continuous(on) or auto, set it to auto then it will run only when the a/c is on.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
There should be a fan switch on the thermostat that says continuous(on) or auto, set it to auto then it will run only when the a/c is on.
Should've added that it is set to auto already. It acts as if it is set to always on.

I'm just trying to see if this is normal or if I should have it looked at.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Ours does the same thing, we have a Dometic 13,500 btu unit, and the fan always running, you can hear the compressor shut off, but fan keeps running. It has 3 settings for cool mode, low, med, and high. The fan has low med and high, If I put it on fan , the compressor will not come on, just fan blows. We have the M19 Slingshot. I don't know if something is wrong or not, but it blows cold. But wish it would work like the house A/C, shutting off when it reaches the desired temp setting. There is no setting on ours that says auto. I might mention that our controls are on the unit in the ceiling.
SJSS
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:03 AM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSS Slingshot View Post
Ours does the same thing, we have a Dometic 13,500 btu unit, and the fan always running, you can hear the compressor shut off, but fan keeps running. It has 3 settings for cool mode, low, med, and high. The fan has low med and high, If I put it on fan , the compressor will not come on, just fan blows. We have the M19 Slingshot. I don't know if something is wrong or not, but it blows cold. But wish it would work like the house A/C, shutting off when it reaches the desired temp setting. There is no setting on ours that says auto. I might mention that our controls are on the unit in the ceiling.
SJSS
Yes, that sounds like ours, except we have a thermostat on the wall that we adjust.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

The only thermostat we have that is on the wall is for the heater. A/C controls are on the unit in the ceiling. It seems like what you are saying , if it is on the auto control, then like the other reply said, your fan should go off when compressor goes off, like a house unit. Just my opinion.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 AM   #7
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSS Slingshot View Post
The only thermostat we have that is on the wall is for the heater. A/C controls are on the unit in the ceiling. It seems like what you are saying , if it is on the auto control, then like the other reply said, your fan should go off when compressor goes off, like a house unit. Just my opinion.
I agree that it probably should, but it isn't. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had a similar issue and if it needs looked at or if that's just how it is.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

Don't call Crossroads, contact Dometic, Crossroads just installs them on the rv & have no technical experience. That's with most all of the items on your rv, call the manufacturer of the item, you'll most likely have better customer service than Crossroads.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Don't call Crossroads, contact Dometic, Crossroads just installs them on the rv & have no technical experience. That's with most all of the items on your rv, call the manufacturer of the item, you'll most likely have better customer service than Crossroads.
Great, thank you.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

And unless you are in a very quiet area, you might find that you like the 'white noise' of the fan being on like we do, drowns out or at least mitigates, the sounds you DON'T want to hear like the fisherman or worker bee that starts his diesel truck @ 4:30 AM. etc
Old 06-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/sup...isk-ii-_-20674

Check this link, the fan runs continuously.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

What a great link. Not only answered this thread, but answered other questions as well.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

read dometic manual. the wall mounted thermostat has more functions than u would think. constant fan, "F" or "C" temp, temp range to cycle on and off (2 or 4 degrees). Having said that..... even though we have used and enjoyed our 2011 crossroads, the quality of material, workmanship and appliances is poor at best. Just had our 4th dometic a/c installed and are on our 2nd dometic fridge, and it still doesn't work on gas. Extended warranty has helped with cost, but aggravation and time involved has been a pain.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #14
Gone Traveling

RV is my utmost companion. With the scorching summer rays hitting I hard, to make the ride pleasurable, I thought of turning on the AC. But, how cold should an RV Air Conditioner get?
Wendyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyy View Post
RV is my utmost companion. With the scorching summer rays hitting I hard, to make the ride pleasurable, I thought of turning on the AC. But, how cold should an RV Air Conditioner get?
IIRC the out flow should be 20 degrees less the return air.
With that I'd say if it's 80 degrees inside the rv then at the closest dump on your ac the outflow should be 60.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:24 PM   #16
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
IIRC the out flow should be 20 degrees less the return air.
With that I'd say if it's 80 degrees inside the rv then at the closest dump on your ac the outflow should be 60.
Thank you! That's right. I have also read some information about this in here:https://vogeltalksrving.com/how-cold...get/#more-1313 And I think it really useful for new rver like me.
Wendyy is offline   Reply With Quote