Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello again,

Just an update on the battery situation - it worked! Our electric in working wonderfully in our camper again. The new battery and size worked well.Thanks for all the help! Unfortunately, as we had hoped, it did not take care of our air conditioner/furnace issues. Here a short synopsis of our situation: We own a 2006 Paradise Pointe Travel Trailer PT36DB. Our air condition/furnace has been out since last year. It simply stopped working one weekend. Upon replacing our battery, which we thought might be contributing to the problem, the air conditioning/furnacestill is not working. We have 30-amp service to our camper (which the lake we reside at is looking into upgrading) and the wires for the air conditioner/furnace have been checked and they are getting juice there. We also have noticed that the lights dim and flicker every time the refrigerator kicks on! Anybody have any suggestions on what it might be???? As usual, thanks in advance for all your feedback!
lovetocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Site Team

I suggest you pick up one of these and see where you are at with power coming into your rig.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y=1&Ntpc=1

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We did check the power coming to the unit. It is a full 12 volts, so the power isn't the problem? At least at this point, we don't think so....
Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm talking about AC not DC. That meter will tell you what the ac voltage is at all times if you keep it plugged into a wall receptacle.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetocamp
We did check the power coming to the unit. It is a full 12 volts, so the power isn't the problem? At least at this point, we don't think so....

You do realize that the ac runs on 110VAC? If the lights dim when the fridge starts, that is a sign there is something wrong with the power. Probably a loose/bad connection somewhere (power pedastal would be first guess). Have you tried another power source?

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Our camper is parked permanently at Lake Carroll. This is in Lake Carroll, IL. We have a 30-amp power source on our lot that we plug into. We replaced the battery to our camper because we were having electrical issues, and thought that might be the problem with the AC. Unfortunately, it's not. The AC still doesn't work. My husband wanted me to post on this forum because everyone was so helpful! We are troubleshooting the AC problem now. He is at the lake right now, and said that they checked the power to the AC and that isn't the issue. I'm assuming they used a volt meter to check that. We are thinking the motor or ???? Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems. The lake is looking at upgrading our electric, but for now, we have 30 amp in the box.....

Old 06-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Because you say the lights go dim, it is possible that the converter has gone bad (and that could have caused the battery to fail as well).I helped a friend last yr with a similar problem with the A/C, we checked that he had 115V AC to the unit, even verified that the motor and starting capacitor were ok. But the bad converter was putting out the wrong DC voltage to the thermostat and that would not allow the A/C or furnace to operate.

Here is a simple test. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Then flip the 115V breaker that supplies power to the converter. Then see if the A/C will operate. If it does, then the converter is bad. Until the converter is replaced, you can leave it shut off at the breaker and use a standard battery charger to keep the battery from being drained.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

OK, we tried to flip the breaker, and that didn't work. The AC still doesn't work!!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:

OK, we tried to flip the breaker, and that didn't work.Â* The AC still doesn't work!!

Just for clarification, you turned off the single breaker for the converter and not the main breaker, right?

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Yes, correct....
Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

by any chance, is the breaker to the A/C bad

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I'm not sure. My husband is on his way back from the lake.He has to work early tomorrow. We have called an RV place that hopefully can fix the issue this week. I would hate to go into another holiday weekend with this issue. It just isn't fun! I will have to make a special trip out there (an hour and 45 minute drive each way) if they can fix it Wednesday or Thursday. All-in-all, I'm just really disappointed. The trailer is a 2006, and the A/C went out last year in late August, which meant the camper was only 4 years old. Very sad. We also have issues with the decals on the back cracking as well. We have had several other little issues as well over the years. Just not really sure that we would buy another Crossroads RV after this. They were supposed to be top-of-the-line! Disappointed when you pay so much money for them (it was brand new when we bought it) and things just keep happening. Thank you ALL so much for your help! I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Yes, correct....

Were you using the A/C when it quit last year? Or was it idle for a long time and then you tried to use it? Infrequent use can sometimes be a problem.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 06-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

dont know if this will help but have you checked the thermostat wires,on my old unit there was about eight inches of wire pulling off the thermostat going into the wall,when i pulled the wires out, i found that this wire was wire nutted to the wire going to the ac unit,one of the nuts had come loose,,,

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Did not check that, but we will!!!! THANK YOU!!!