Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Air flow with open windows

We saw various models of the Sunset Trail Reserve (Fifth wheel and TT) while at an RV show, and the feature we really liked more than other brands was it appears that most of the windows open wide enough to allow some good air flow in the trailer while open including a window at each bunk in the bunkhouse models. They opened wide and many of the floor plans appear to have ample windows to get good circulation. Unlike some other brands that barely tilted out.

I'm sure over time and depending on location we will change our style of camping. But here in Colorado we don't even own AC at our house, so I don't picture us using AC regularly while camping (nor do I want to... I like the fresh air when possible). Do you find the windows provide adequate airflow within the trailer without the use of AC/heat or fans?

This has been one of our biggest MUST HAVE features so far, and we still have time to figure it out, but trying to determine if that style and location of the windows makes that big of a difference and where it should fall on our feature priority list.

We've only ever tent or popup camped, so we're used to being able to open up the entire structure to air out when necessary.
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Seems like you've done a good job already, seeking models with bigger windows. Other than that, you'll want to make your campsite selection carefully, based on prevailing breeze/winds. We always carry a $12, 120VAC fan for those days between heat and AC.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
Seems like you've done a good job already, seeking models with bigger windows. Other than that, you'll want to make your campsite selection carefully, based on prevailing breeze/winds. We always carry a $12, 120VAC fan for those days between heat and AC.
We didn't think about it at first but as we browsed the RV show last month we started catching on to little details (hooks in bathrooms, number and location of roof vents, larger opening windows, window mechanisms, etc). That's when we realized that some trailers have very few windows and the small tilt open doesn't seem like it would be effective.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Don't forget that some of the tilt-out types are your emergency escapes. They have a big red lever at the bottom to open. They can be pushed all the way out and lifted off the hinge to make an escape. You need those, too!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
Don't forget that some of the tilt-out types are your emergency escapes. They have a big red lever at the bottom to open. They can be pushed all the way out and lifted off the hinge to make an escape. You need those, too!
Yes, we noticed those as well. The emergency ones appeared to tilt out further for normal use than the other tilt open windows. I am perfectly okay with those to accommodate safety exits. It's the ones that are not emergency and barely open to a 3 inch gap, I can't picture getting a nice cross breeze with those.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCamping View Post
Yes, we noticed those as well. The emergency ones appeared to tilt out further for normal use than the other tilt open windows. I am perfectly okay with those to accommodate safety exits. It's the ones that are not emergency and barely open to a 3 inch gap, I can't picture getting a nice cross breeze with those.
That is what we have in our trailer. (tilt out)
They seem adequate. The nice thing about them is you can leave them open a little when you are away from the camper and not have to worry about it raining in. The sliders you don't have that. Leave them open in the rain and it will be wet inside when you return.
The slider is the only way to get the thermo pane window tho.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

We swapped out the "less than effective" stock bath fan and installed a Maxxair Fan. Made a huge difference and moves alot of air. Best upgrade thus far for us for that very purpose to keep a breeze moving in the trailer. There are other brands with high CFMs that will also do the same. Just something to consider if you are concerned about air flow.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

We have a mix of tip out style windows and sliders in our trailer. That was a big selling point for us is that we had plenty of windows and all of them opened in one way or another. We like the tip out style for the same reason Lloyd said and the sliders are nice for creating a lot of air movement. If you have one or more fantastic fans in your unit you can create a lot of air moving with just a couple of windows open, even the smaller tip out style. If we need more then we also carry a table top fan and we also have a ceiling fan that we can use.

Phil & Janine
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Like the previous 2 posts, we have a SOB 5er bunkhouse with MaxFans in the bunkroom, kitchen, and bedroom (in place of a 2nd air conditioner). We can open any windows tilt out or slide and get an amazing amount of airflow if we need to by the MaxFans exhausting air out the roof and pulling air in from the windows.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Great input, sounds like we'll be all set if we have some quality fans in the right spots.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Why do you need air movement?
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
Site Team

It helps eliminate moisture, which in turn helps eliminate mold from starting.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

That could be why my bed frame and under is full of mold I'm assuming I have a leak by the small window at the corner head if the bed. My window screen and tracks have been collecting mold. I cleaned the windows 3 times since last month. I just discovered the mold under the bed ect yesterday.i am feeling helpless at this point.just purchased thus CR cruise 2012 last august
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote