Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Not sure if this is the correct forum.
Heading to Alaska from Florida around May or June 2013. I mapped the travel route and it comes up with a route heading thru North Dakota into Saskatchewan and Alberta, this just looks like a long route thru Canada. Would I be better to head toward Washington then in to BC and on to Dawson Creek. This way is about 600 miles longer but the time shows only about 10 hours longer to Anchorage (I know the driving times and distances may not be accurate, just a comparison) Have been doing quite a bit research on line and will probably have a few more question later. Right now just a few.
1. We already have passports
2. Checked on International Health Cert. for Dog
3. Taking a shotgun and according to Canadian web site it is ok, if I get the proper paperwork
4. Question says no mace or pepper spray allowed, wondering if one of those large cans of Bear repellant would be allowed. Any thoughts?

DW and I have done quite a bit of traveling lower 48 so feel pretty confident about trip. The more I look at pictures of Alaska, just gets me so darn excited it just looks so beautiful up there.
Welcome any other thoughts.
Thanks

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

A few considerations: The Yellowhead Trans Canada Highway is a two laner for the most part, in moderate condition. It does not compare to the interstates heading west. consequently the longer driving time. Fuel is more expensive, at current prices between $4.20 to $5. so the costs may even out if you use the interstates?? However the drive up the BC Interior can be a challenge ( Cassier Highway). On the plus side if you like the wide open spaces with little towns and cities, the Yellowhead is the way to go.
You say May to June. I would suggest mid June to July. Some of the mountain passes could be closed. Spring does not arrive in northern Alberta and BC until mid June. Even then you will hit snow in the higher elevations. A snow storm is not unheard of in late May.
It is a fantastic trip We have made it twice from Winnipeg MB. Make sure you hit Skagway and Valdez, spectacular. If you are into fishing it is paradise.

Edited by: pegger
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Shoe2728
Save the Bear Spray purchase until you get to Canada and purchase some up here. They are kinda sticky about the wording on the cans at the border.
Don't ask how I know
Haven't been yet but plan to make the trip one summer soon!

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Thanks both for the info. Iam entirely open to June-July. No time restraints what so ever. Other times we traveled we had two -three weeks and had to be back. Only problem I have to take care of is someone to watch my house and pick up mail. I live in a very small neighborhood and everyone knows each other. Iam kinda the neighborhood handy man, get calls from fixing computers, lawnmowers, broke pipes, to garage door openers. So should be no problem.
I did some checking and see diesel right now is around $1.29/liter and running around $4.25 gal in US. Hard telling what prices may be next summer. If it gets to $5 gal in US then I will still make trip. DW wanted to just fly up and take a Cruise, but I think you would miss so much by not driving. I see quite a few travelers from Canada coming down to Florida. Sure dont know why. When you have such great scenery up there.
Thanks for the heads up on the Bear spray.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote