Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Almost 1st blow out

On our way to Orlando last month with our 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD and after purchasing it only four months earlier we almost had our first blowout. Near Daytona Beach on I95, another motorist came along beside me and was hollering something and I finally figured out they were talking about my tire. We pulled off of the side of the interstate to take a look and my right side rear tire had a large bubble on the sidewall, so I changed tires and while lying there as I was putting the spare tire on the bubble burst and the tire blew. After getting back home I took the camper in to the dealer for the tire and other issues and he said the tire was not warranted, the owner said he would not even use the tires the manufacturer put on his RV so I talked with a friend of mine in the tire business, he recommended Carlisles, so with only a few thousand miles on the Trailer Express tires, I replaced them all.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Have you researched Carlisle tires? They too are Chinese made and of questionable quality. The only non-US made tires I would have considered on our former Cruiser were Maxxis. They seem to have the best user reviews. In reality we were thinking about switching to Michelin RIBS on new 16" rims. I would have had to raise the springs shackles but it would have been worth it to avoid riding around on bombs. We finally decided to buy a new motorhome riding on Michelin XRV 22" tires. Are they better or safer? I cannot tell you but I do feel somewhat safer.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Yes, unfortunatley I did find out they were also made in China, but I did go to a higher ply tire which may be a little overkill so hopefully they will do better. I just got real concerned with the tires that came on the camper which were suppose to new tires when I purchased it in June of this year. I had already gotten rid of the blown tire, but the other three were made in 2013.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Site Team

Don't confuse true Chinese tires with American brand tires made in China. There is a difference. Name brand tires are made to higher specs than off brand tires. The quality is much better.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Last time I checked, the OEM tires had a 1 yr warranty, but thru the tire distributor, not thru CR. Maybe the dealer was wrong, and if he thinks they are inadequate, why didn't he advise you to replace them the day you purchased the RV? Even if totally at your expense?

However I agree the OEM tires are certainly questionable. I kept mine about 18 months before changing to a quality tire. If you changed to a higher load range (i.e. higher psi) and you inflate the tires to the max. psi on the sidewall, the stiffer tires may beat the RV to pieces.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo View Post
Have you researched Carlisle tires? They too are Chinese made and of questionable quality. .
Artgpo... the last time I checked Carlisle tires is when I bought them for my 2007 Cruiser two year ago, and at that time they were made in England...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote