Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
New Camper

Antennae & hot water question

Hello campers!! Last year we upgraded from an old pop-up to a 2013 zinger z1 and we are loving it! After a few camping trips we worked out most of the kinks and have a good feel for our new gal....

however...

I feel like i'm missing something really simple here but I can't seem to figure out how to connect the roof antennae to the tv! There is a coax connection for cable and a plug that looks like a car dc power receptacle. I assume some type of plug goes into the DC power plug but can't find that plug anywhere. What is the darn thing called?

And a quickie about the hot water heater... In our pop-up, we had to fill the holding tank, and use the water pump along with the hot water heater. With the zinger, we did the same thing but at the end of our 6 day trip, there was only a bit less water in the tank (probably because we didn't have the drain cap screwed in tight enough. Is it safe to assume the hot water heater draws from the city water when available?

Thanks all!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-06-27 14.57.32.jpg (103.0 KB, 6 views)
rlfjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yes, that plate with a coax outlet and a 12vdc "cigarette lighter" outlet is your television connection. Connect the coax to the TV via cable. There should be a small button on that plate, which will make an even smaller LED light up. That is an amplifier that must be on for your antenna to work. The 12vdc plug is available to you if you have a 12VDC TV. (I do, it's great for boondocking - everything works even when not hooked to shore power). BTW, that 12vdc outlet is fused to only about 7 amps, so don't think about using it for anything with a heavy draw.
The water assumption is correct, and even more so. When you have city water pressure applied to the TT, all cold water, including the hot water heater inlet, is fed by city water. You didn't use your fresh water tank on this trip. When city water is applied, you don't turn on your water pump. All cold comes from the city. When you ARE NOT connected to city water, then turn on your pump, and you will draw from your fresh water tank. We always keep about 1/3 fresh tank to be able to use the toilet and sink while on the road, even when we know we're going to a campsite with hookups.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Marty for the quick response with all the info! Glad to run these things by people who have experience with it.

Just to clarify, the 12v plug is at alternative power source for the tv? And the antennae works through the coax cable as long as I find a smal button (which I did not but I'll look again)?

Thanks a million!
rlfjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Yes, the reason Winegard and others provide a 12vdc "outlet" is because the antenna system needs 12vdc for the antenna booster, which is almost always located on a small circuit board, right behind that plate. But I can't see any buttons on that plate, either, so look around. Pressing the button in should light a red or green LED, telling you power (12vdc) is applied to the booster. The "outlet" is a convenience for you, and almost always right next to a 120VAC outlet so you can have a television in either case. The only other place to look would be at the antenna crank on the ceiling.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antennae, hot water