Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Atwood water heater malfunction

My Atwood 10 gal. WH is acting strange. I usually run it on 110v, but right now it is on propane. Worked fine for a few days and then I shut it off for about 36 hrs. When I turned it back on, it fired up on gas just fine, ran for about 3-4 min. and shut off (too soon to reach temp), then re-fired in about 4 sec. This repeated maybe 6 times before I just shut it down.

I've looked at the manual. Problem can't be with the 'thermal cutoff' because that is a one-time only safety fuse. Problem could be with the main thermostat, I've checked that it is in direct contact with the tank, so it could be stuck closed. But according to the manual, the 'ECO' should open and lockout the system, requiring power reset. But the system keeps cycling on and off. Probability of both sensors failing at the same time seems very low. So, maybe it is the circuit board? Or maybe just the main thermostat not staying open once the water is up to temp?

Based on the manual, symptoms should be the same on 110v, but just harder to detect without a meter hooked up to it. In 25 yrs, this is the first WH problem I've had. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Larry, been thinking about this and don't have any good ideas. Are you sure the thermal cutoff is one time use only. I have seen many where they have a red button in the middle that you can "reset". My 07 doesn't have a residential type thermostat but maybe your 2011 does. If so, they do go bad. I will keep thinking.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Are you sure the thermal cutoff is one time use only.
Stan, yes, it is a fusible link above the burner inlet, to prevent fire from burning the outside of the rv. Right now it is working better, will cycle twice, then remain off until temp drops. So, I'm not going to order any parts just yet.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 02-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Today the WH is intermittent, just when I really need it. Did nothing the first time I turned it on. Then it fired up for about 2 seconds. Then nothing again, can't even hear the 110v relay click. I did a quick jiggle on the connections, still nothing. Then turned the breaker off and on to reset the circuit board and heard some noise, but still nothing. Rechecked the connections and another power off cycle, and the burner finally fired up and is running right now. Guess I need to do a good cleaning of the connections tomorrow if it isn't raining.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Larry, it sounds like your on to something. I have never done anything to mine (including cleaning) so am interested as to what you find. Maybe it IS just a bad connection. Will keep my fingers crossed!
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Make sure the propane line to heater doesn't have trash in it. I had a similar issue with my furnace once and found the propane line was clogged at the furnace connection. It may not be totally clogged if it works sometimes, but any restriction will effect performance.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Our WH is the same model as yours. The 1st time it did what yours did it was the terminals on the circuit board. I read somewhere to clean with a pencil eraser and then reinstall, it worked about a year and started doing the same thing. It was the circuit board that time. Bought one on ebay, no more problems since.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote