Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Awning LED

2017 Sunset Trail 290QB

Only a handful of the awning LED's are working. Most are burned out. I can't find any information on the awning to figure out where to get a new strip. Crossroads customer service won't divulge their information either. Anyone have suggestions? The LED strip is located inside the awning roll in a track.
paguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Forget them. Buy an aftermarket strip and install on the side of your Rv below the awning. Google and you'll find a bunch.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Same problem. I’d like to keep it as stock looking as possible and replace the LED strip inside the awning.
stuckin4low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

The problem with keeping it as stock as possible is it's a flawed location for the strip. The roller traps water from rain on the lights. They will just burn out just like the first set. You can find a lot of posts on this subject.....
Old 07-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin4low View Post
Same problem. I’d like to keep it as stock looking as possible and replace the LED strip inside the awning.

Think of it as a modification/upgrade. You will feel better about it and it might last longer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Well I spent most the day watching utube vids and a bunch of reviews to understand the complete line of products, availability, and where to install these to our trailer. Canadian availability and Customs is always a factor, so after searching Ebay, AliExpress, Banggood, Amazon.com, I finally hunted down a product on Amazon.ca. So ordered waterproof IP68, RGB, SMD5050, 5Meter length with 50 led per Meter, with a 44key IR remote and going to draw my 12V directly from the trailer. I'm going to install these to the underside of the aluminum awning channel that attaches the awning to the side of the trailer with 3M-VHB or Gorilla double sided tape. Up till now I been clipping a string of patio lights to the flap on the awning, but that is a complete pain every time a wind comes up, remove the lights, roll in the awning, and worse sometimes leaving with awning out and a wind came up. So since blue is our ambient color under the trailer, blue was our main choice for awning light with the option to turn into white and more brightness. In my opinion the most important factor for consideration is the waterproof rating. Now if anyone has already installed this type IP68 to there aluminum awning channel I'm still open to suggestions. Like maybe glue gun, latex contact cement, etc. These are extreme wind conditions when bucking a 30 mph wind going 60 mph and like everyone else, only want to do it once...
Old 07-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

LED's

Anyone try Boogey Lights?
I'm thinking of installing under my awning on the side of the camper. Not sure how to tie into 12v and don't want to drill.

2017 290QB Sunset Trail
paguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I had the typical problem of the awning LEDs burnt out. I bought a real nice aftermarket LED light set and a cheap WIFI controller and installed the very flat self adhesive strip just above the channel where the original LED strip went. It is real nice because it wires into the original wiring, uncomplicating things, and I can control the several million colors and changes ( anywhere) with my smartphone.
Parts came from 'superbrightleds.com'
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #9
New Camper

I have a 2014 sunset trail and my awning lights went out, you can find replacements on Ebay for around 15.00 and they work great.
Brt7740 is offline   Reply With Quote