Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Awning patch suggestions

I noticed today that during my unfortunate mishap last fall, hitting a street sign with the 5er and scraping the side, breaking the door window that I also tore the awning. It's a L shaped tear maybe 3" by 3", not bad enough to replace awning, but bad enough that I need to patch it.

The awning is dark brown on top, white/cream underside. So I'm looking for a dark brown or black if possible. I don't want it to be any more visible than it has to be. I looked on Amazon, didn't see anything. Can anyone suggest a product?

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Maybe Gorilla tape. Clean area with some acetone, Tape it, then heat it to set it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:11 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Unfortunate mishap and sure there will be lots of solutions. But thought I'd add my 2 cents and agree along with mark5w. That Gorilla sticks like a true beast, comes in a multiple of colors, and I even think in different widths,the stuff I have is 2 inches but it seems I also saw it in 4 inch width, and if you carefully apply top and bottom should never come off. Alternative IMO if you remove the awning you could get a patch sewn on or around the gorilla tape but probably not necessary.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Thank you.

Gorilla tape is a good idea. Worst case I could probably get it off with some acetone if I had to. I think if I clean the edges, cut off the threads and use some less sticky tape on the underside to hold it together while I apply the Gorilla tape it should look very tidy. It's right on top near the corner but fortunately didn't go into the edges in either direction.

Taking it off sounds like a hassle. Appreciate the idea but it's not that big a tear. I'm hoping I can buff most of the scrape off the side with a good wax. Don't think there is anything I can do about the window. Hopefully I will eventually stop focusing on it every time I look at it.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:13 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

My suggestion is put brown Gorilla Tape on the top and white Gorilla Tape on the underside, preferably with a little gap in the awning fabric so the two tapes have some sticky contact with each other. I've had good luck patching up my rv cover this way. I also round the square corners of the tape pieces so there are no small corner points to start peeling. I suppose you could use pop rivets in the tape corners but that might cause other problems and probably is not necessary. If you felt you needed mechanical fastening on the tapes, I would suggest hand stitching with a coat of superglue on the finished stitching (both sides.)

If you had some Eternabond tape laying around, that would definitely do it but I wouldn't want to buy a whole roll for just a foot or less of tape.

I really think Gorilla Tape, as described above, will work fine but if it doesn't, you are not out much. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I removed my awning and took it to a p!ace the makes and repairs covers for boat lifts she stitched up up right nice. Gorilla tape and I is in the sun.
Troddleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We had a torn awning and the wife found some clear awning repair tape at CW. Priced at $12-15 per roll it did the job for us. We carefully washed the awning prior to putting the tape on. I have used gorilla tape on other repairs and it is the best.
2013 Toyota Tundra Double Cab V8 5.7 Ltr Limited
cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote