Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Awning woes

Does anyone have experience with 'Carefree' of Colorado awning failures?

I've had the rear 'double scissor like' mechanism on my 20' factory fitted awning fail twice.

Both times for no apparent reason, the flimsy 'U' channel broke at the hinge point where the gas strut that extends it is attached.

Both times it was replaced by Campingworld, who I have to say stepped up and did the job in under 10 days from initial report to having the new part fitted using my extended warranty.

Trouble is I'm really distrusting the awning now and even the slightest breeze has me rolling it in for fear that I'm not going to be so lucky a third time.

Your feedback would be appreciated.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I don’t but I know what you mean about flimsy poor quality. I basically never put my awning out anymore unless it’s absolutely no wind. The old awnings that we’re manual seem to stand up to a small hurricane but the newer stuff is crap.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

My sentiment exactly.

I thought about having a local fabrication shop reinforce the failure point (not too difficult to do) but immediately thought that would totally void any potential support from Campingworld or Carefree.

The shade the awning provides is too good to do without, and I think if it's supplied by a manufacturer as OE it should do just that and be engineered sufficiently well to stand up to regular use, or am I deluded in this day and age?

Thanks for the reply Ted.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote