Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
New Camper

Just a questionfor those RV owners out of warranty that have bought an older Crossroads with the typical Lippert axle problem:

I recently got a 2006 Cruiser CF29CK and knew I had an axle concern due toabnormal outside tire wear on one of the axles. So before replacing the tiresI decided to have the trailer aligned and have the axles bent as needed to get into alignment specs.

This weekend I put in a Dexter E-ZFlex susphension kit with wet bolts and had the trailer over to the truck/trailer shop Monday morning. They did haveto be bend the axles but I wasn't quite ready for the expense.I had heard $150-200 was the normal charge for this job. Well, I just got a call that the trailer is done and their charge for doing the alignment and bending the axles came to $452.

That was quite the shock and I'm wondering if this shop is really expensive or if thats how

much truck/trailer shops really charge these days? Anyone had theirs done lately? I didn't really shop this out much as there are very few shops that have the alignment equipment to do bigger trailers and I just used a local RV dealers recommendation. Edited by: brandyspaw
brandyspaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
That's really high and I'm not even sure that the axles are even that much new. I have seen them on EBay and elsewhere cheap.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
That was alot more than I paid at All Wheel Alignment in Redding CA. Did you also have the tires rotated and balanced? Did they do anything else? Ask for a complete statement of labor done and parts. If all they did was an alignment they are WAY OUT OF LINE!!!!!!!!!!
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

That seems a little high for just the alignment of the axles. I think when I had mine done it was 125 per. I agree with khunlinda to get a list of everything they did. However, I have had some work done at some RV shops that I thought was a little outrageous.

After having that done your tires will run true and last a bit longer
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref">
Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
New Camper

I haven't picked the trailer up yet. However, the breakdown I got on the phone was $452 for the labor and that was for the alignment and the bending of both axles. No other work was done.

I guess its my own fault for not shopping around but there are really not many places

that have the capability to do this type of work even along the front range of Colorado here.
brandyspaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Be sure to inspect the unit carefully, especially the spring hangers to the frame.

Also, someone on the travel trailer section had their spring hangers replaced and axles bent for about that price on RV.net so I think something is a skew on that price.

Good luck.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I have a friend who went through this with a <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="&#111;n"><st1lace w:st="&#111;n">Montana</st1lace></st1:State>. The bending of the axles did not work out. He had only gone less than 1000 miles and the axles were out again. The steel in the lippert axle is very thin walled and does not seem to hold afterthey havebeen bent. My friend finally bit the bullet and replaced his axles with a pair of Dexter’s. He has been very happy after the change. He does have the trailer a little over weight and does do some off road travel.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 AM   #8
New Camper

That is high if all they did was an alignment and bend the axles. I had mine done last year for about $150.

2000 2500 Chev

2009 Coachmen Chaparral
roverdover is offline   Reply With Quote