Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
New Camper

Backup Camera and battery

Hi there, I have a 2017 Sunset Trail UltraLite 264BH and my prewired backup camera is always powered on.
Does anyone have tricks to either turn it off or re-wire to be powered (run) only when towing?

I think it really drains my battery just with that little blue light! (i know it's actually searching the whole time for a connection which is the real drain)

Thanks!
Kevin
2017 Sunset Trail Ultra Lite 264BH
kevintbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
New Camper

Most cameras get wired to the marker lights. Yours sounds like it’s wired directly to the 12v system. There are pros & cons to both methods. Since the camera is already installed, the easiest solution is probably to install a switch in the power feed to the camera. Step-by-step instructions for that are below.

1. Locate the power wires to the camera, then find a convenient & inconspicuous place to install a power switch.

2. Purchase a 12v switch with a rating greater than the amps listed on the camera. The electrical section of any auto parts store will have a wide selection of switches. I got one with an led that lights when the switch is on to let me know when I’m draining the battery.

3. Install the switch in the 12v positive wire & you’re good to go.

You could also re-wire the camera power to one of the nearby marker lights. They are completely separate from the trailer battery and only have power when connected to the tow vehicle & the parking lights are on.
Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
New Camper

I own a 2017 Sunset Trail 271RL, and ran into a similar issue, with the built-in camera mount wired into the 12V system with no way to shut it off. Really dumb to not include a power switch.

My solution was pretty much as Sinker said, I installed my own switch. In my case, there are cabinets on the other side of the camera mount, so I installed the switch inside the cabinet. Kind of a pain to get to, but it works. Since you have a different model, this may not work...YMMV. You can get a basic RV switch off Amazon or at your local Camping World or RV store. Here are the steps:

1. Turn off all power to the trailer.
2. Unscrew the exterior camera mount so you can access the wiring.
3. Drill a hole from the existing hole covered by the camera mount through the interior wall.
4. From the inside, widen the interior hole to accommodate the switch.
5. From the outside, cut one of the power wires. Solder on extension wires for the switch and insulate them with electrical tape or heat-shrink tubing. (Make sure you use the same wire gauge.)
6. At the end of the extension wires, solder a female spade connector that will slide onto the tabs on the switch.
7. Fish the wires through with a coat hanger or stiff wire.
8. From the inside, attach the spade connectors to the switch.
9. Mount the switch and cover plate to the inside wall.
10. Turn on power and test.

Hope this helps!

Roger
Equal-i-zer 1000/10000 Hitch
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
New Camper

Add a battery disconnect switch and it will turn off all of the 12 volt power to your trailer. That is what I did to stop our camera, radio, etc from running down the battery when in storage. I believe the one I got was around $10 and easy to install on the battery.
Lnghrn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
New Camper

I did the same as Lnghrn78, added a battery cut off switch.
A lot easier than trying to figure out how to wire a switch in.
Tlimhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Wire to markers

My 2018 is wired to the running lamps from the factory suggest rerouting your wiring. Running with your headlines on is a better idea anyway so your camera works. Having the camera is great.
Thomas Walch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

If you have a 7-way trailer connector, then you have a terminal in it for reverse lights.. I have them on my trailer. Connect the power to that terminal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-way-trailer-plug.jpg (174.7 KB, 8 views)
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #8
New Camper

Thank you everyone! I am going to wire to the running lights/reverse lights this weekend. Secondarily, seems like the 12v battery switch is a good idea anyway so I’ll do that too!

Appreciate the responses

Kevin
kevintbach is offline   Reply With Quote