Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Bathroom Faucets -- Again!

Well - we got the travel trailer out of storage and guess what? The bathroom faucets still leaked. So, I dutifully researched how to address the issue myself and carefully replaced the offending valve. I waited breathlessly a few hours. Aha! No drips.

Then I used another piece of the bathroom equipment. I confidently stepped on the toilet flusher and whoosh! water burst out of the bathroom sink! I ran outside, turned off the main water line, filled a bucket for further use from the other hose and am now stuck.

Can anyone help? This unit does not have any shut-off valves inside. The tubing appears to be the standard red and blue, with occasional white hosing thrown in. After I originally turned the water off outside and explored under the sink, I discovered that one of the faucet's base connectors was loose, so I tightened it. After I replaced the valve, the faucet handle on that side no longer closed the same way. Now it doesn't turn off the water at all.

Is it time for a plumber (), or should I try a completely new faucet?

Thanks!
cesmart6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Head to home depot or similar and gte a basic bathroon faucet . No problem after that. Just make sure you tighten the hot side again after hot water runs thru it for the first time.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Agree with Harley...
Just replace all your faucets. Within the first year I took all ours out and replaced with very good Delta faucets. No problems and now it feels like a real faucet instead of what they come with.

Steve
Old 06-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I agree with the above post. I haven’t replaced mine yet but their not leaking so I’m waiting

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Leaking Faucets - FIXED!!!

Hello, again.

Thank you to those who offered help. For the beginner, here's what I discovered along the way:

1. Tightening the lock nuts on the sink, oddly, can affect the way the faucet handle sits. I mentioned before that I had originally thought that one was loose, so I tightened it. That action, apparently, unbalanced the faucet unit so that the handle would only spin around. Once I loosened the lock nut again (but kept it tightened just enough to stabilize the unit), the handle slipped on correctly, and is now back to turning the water on and off.

2. When you are dealing with a leak in a cheap plastic faucet, start with the easiest approach. I didn't discover what the easiest method was until I had taken the faucet apart several times. So, now I would recommend: turn off the water; put a cloth in the sink to catch screws, etc.; remove the handle caps; unscrew the handles; remove the handles; unscrew the nut around the valves; remove the casing for the entire faucet if it has simple screws like mine did, replace the nuts around the valves; turn the water back on slightly.

At this point, you should be able to see from where the water is actually leaking. Initially, I thought the valves were the problem. It turned out that water was backing up from the aerator, then running down the inside of the faucet and leaking down the outside of the pipe. I never would have seen this unless I tried the faucet without its casing.

So, after two years of struggle, I finally discovered that somehow the aerator had been misassembled. I learned from a "This Old House" video, that new aerators have flow constrictors installed in them. Mine had been installed upside down, so the water couldn't figure out which way to go. Once I reassembled the aerator in the proper direction and order, the leak stopped. Technically, I didn't need to replace anything.

I turned the water back off, unscrewed the nuts around the valves, replaced the casing, put the nuts back on (making sure the valves were properly seated in their slots), put the handles back on, and voila!

It took two days to figure all this out. The entire process could probably have taken ten minutes, if I had known then what I know now! When we got back from returning $90 worth of unnecessary equipment to the store and no water was pouring out anywhere unauthorized, we had achieved success!

Hope this process helps someone out there.

P.S. If you take the valves out, the little black rubber rings down below are called the seats. The springs that are below them go wide end down!!! Some people use needle-nose pliers to get them back in there. My fingers were small enough to fit, though. When they are in position, they have a little bit of bounce in them, so after you put the valves back in, you need to keep a little bit of pressure on them while you are re-assembling the faucet. That way, they stay in the proper position in their slots while you are tightening the plastic nuts.
cesmart6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Yep, after reading CeSmart6 final report, I now have to agree with Harley's option. Then the end result would be quality taps. I think I'll start replacing the shower crap first because there's super sad junk in that area, basically only good for burning you.

Tags
beginners' advice, plumbing