Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
Site Team

Has anybody had any experience with the Optima battery as far using them in a RV?
I have 2 interstate in ours now and they didn't seem to hold up very well. At first I was thinking of converting over to 2 or 4, 6 volt golf cart batteries but have been almost talked out of that.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

This may be slightly off-topic, but I have researching batteries for a similar reason. It seems that RV batteries, because of the way that they are used, tend to fail prematurely due to sulfation. I'm looking for a desulfator as a first step to prolonging my battery life. The manufacturers of these units also claim to be able to restore 'dead' batteries and increase their ability to hold a charge.

Here is a link to a site that provides more information on the topic.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/home.php

2006 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A
2009 CF31MK
JT Strongarm Stabilizers
Demco Glide Ride
Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost 2000E MPPT Controller
billyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:58 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Has anybody had any experience with the Optima battery as far using them in a RV?
I have 2 interstate in ours now and they didn't seem to hold up very well. At first I was thinking of converting over to 2 or 4, 6 volt golf cart batteries but have been almost talked out of that.

I haven't had any experience with the Optima batteries so I can't be of any help there. But I am not happy with the Interstate batteries as well. I have been told the problem with these batteries is that the converter unit charges them at a higher charge rate then what they are built to accept. (if that makes any sense, I don’t remember the correct terminology) Anyway I have tried to charge my batteries with a dedicated charger vs. the converter as much as possible, and I’m still not happy with their performance. I don’t get the life out of them while camping that I feel I should be getting. (This expectation is based on previous fifth wheels with other brands of batteries.) That being said, I don’t know if it’s all the batteries, or if some of it is the camper as well. (I know that the batteries will drain rather quickly while parked if they are not disconnected) I will definitely be trying another brand when it’s time to replace these.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

I’m curious as to why you say you have been talked out of the 6 volts. My understanding has been that the performance out of the 6 volts deep cycle is much better.

I have been trying to figure out how to get 4 6 volts in my battery compartment.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I have been using 2- 6 volt Interstate battys for 3 years now ,so far so good.Haven't done a lot of dry camping recently but when I have the battys seem to drop to about 75% charge &amp; then just sit there for several days. I had used 6 volt Trojan's before with good results. They lasted about 7 years with lots of dry camping (Quartzsite). Have also tried 2- 12v.. not nearly as good as the 6 volt system.
Cal

Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We have been using 2 - 6 volts for over a year now. Although we never dry camp they do hold a charge a long time between charges.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Old Farmer, if you're going to dry camp (like your last trip) then you really want two 6 volt batteries, not the 12 volt. As to brand I believe there are only three or four manufacturers (brands aplenty).

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have been using 6 volt Trojan batteries for over 15 years.They are far superior to any 12 volt battery, even their own 12 voltTrojan batteries. The simple truth is the 6 volt batteries have much thicker paltes and last much longer. I have gotten as much as 10 years of excellent use out of the Trojan105's. I dry camp up to 8 weeks per year. I use a combination of a solar panel driven controller and a prosine inverter/ charger to charge the batteries. Both have smart chip technology that does multiple stage charging and desulfation. It is also critical to keep your batteries up to at least 50% charge. The more your drain them the shorter their life.

I also have 2 battery minders as described above thatI use for my bass boat andtrolling motorbatteries. They do an excellent job of desulfating the batteries and I believe they have extended the life of those batts. I use them when I pull the batteries out of the boat and store for the winter plus in between outings. It keeps them fully charged without overcharging them. They are hooked up to the battery minders full time. I use oneminderon 2 12V batts hooked up in parallel and one minder on 2 6v batts hooked up in series. All those batteries are Trojans and the 12 volt batts don't hold a candle to the 6 volts when it comes to service time per charge and total batterylife. The battery minders I have are designed to be used on batteries that already have a full charge. They are not intended toreplace a regular battery charger as they will not charge a discharged battery.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:02 AM   #8
Site Team

</span>

I’m curious as to why you say you have been talked out of the 6 volts. </span>My understanding has been that the performance out of the 6 volts deep cycle is much better.</span>

I have been trying to figure out how to get 4 6 volts in my battery compartment.</span>[/QUOTE]

They claim the Optima's will hold up longer under load then the 6 volt golf cart batteries. They can take a faster charge with out damage. They will charge 3 times faster. Maintenance free. Won't freeze. Won't leak. No corrosion on the terminals. There is only about a spoon full of acid in them. They are solid lead. Lead holds it charge better and disperses it better then lead and zinc. Other batteries are lead and zinc.
When I was talking with the battery man, he claimed 2, 12 volt optima's were better then 4, 6 volt golf cart batteries for this application. Only bad thing is the price.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

That sounds like it's worth checking into. (off to google.....)

Old 10-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

How about the gel type batteries?? In some of the buildings that I have managed the UPS systems are using the gel batteries. I believe they are 12 volt. Don't have any experience with them as they belong to the tenants and they maintain this equipment. This is just food for though. Robbie
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I'm no expert and I haven't gone to 6 volt batteries because I don't dry camp. This would be the first time I've heard someone claim 12 volt batteries are better than 6 volts for this purpose. Everything I've read up to now on RV.net and Trailmanor.com touts two or four 6 volts for this purpose.

Perhaps there is new technology that is worth considering ... but I'm skeptical at this point. it would be nice if the Optima dealer can share actual tests and studies, not just their opinion. i would also be curious what competing dealers have to say. What Ridgeman had to say tracks with what experienced dry campers on trailmanor.com had to say on the old forum before they updated it.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Here's some numbers I just pulled off the interweb comparing Trojan's 6vT-145 to Optima's D31M. (These both appear to be the most powerful battery from each mfg)

Two Optima D31M hooked in parrallel (12v) will deliver 150 amp hrs (20hr rating) or will maintain 25 amps for 310 minutes. (cut those numbers in half if you only run one battery)

Two Trojan T-145 hooked in series (12v) will deliver 260 amp hrs (20 hr rating) or will maintain 25 amps for 530 minutes.

The Optimas weigh 60 lbs each to the Trojans 72 lbs each.

Optimas look to cost about $230 each and the Trojans go about $220.

I got these numbers right off of each manufacturers web site. (except the pricing, that was just calls to local dealers)

Trojan also makes AGM and Gel type batteries in 6v and 12v as well.

Now the next thing I need to do is look up the specs for my Interstate batteries so I have an idea what these numbers mean in the real world.

Edited by: rock1424

Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I ordered a Battery Minder today and I am going to mount it permantly in the battery compartment. If I leave the trailer plugged in here at the house I have to add water to the batteries every couple of weeks. This should remedy that. Thanks Ridgeman for the info.

http://www.pacificbattery.com/batteryminder.html
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Great post Rock 1424. You beat me to it.

Old Farmer,

I'm guessing you can get Trojan T 105's for less than $150 each. Haven't checked the prices lately cause mine are lasting forever. That's all you need. That will give you 220 amp hours. If you had 4 of them you would get 440 amp hours. Sounds to me like you were talking to an Optima salesman. I believe he was just trying to sell you his brand. I don't doubt that optimas are great batteries, but the guy that was telling you that they are better than 4 6v batts was misinformed or just trying to make a sale.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:51 PM   #15
Site Team

rock1424
That was a great post. Thanks for the leg work. Let that be a lesson to me not to believe everything a salesman has to say.
I think I will stop in there today and see what the brand of the 6 volts were that he was comparing to.
I would be interested in what you come up with on your Interstate's.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Lloyd

My batteries are Interstate HD24-DP. It looks like they are weakest battery interstate makes. (Go figure, a dealer putting in the cheapest batteries he can find.)

Interstate does not list an Amp Hour rating on these batteries, so the only thing I could compare was the 25 amp run time. Interstate lists what they call an RC rating which is "The amount of minutes a battery can be discharged to 10.5 volts by 25-amp discharge at 800F." according totheir web site.

My batteries have an RC rating of 100, they also have a "hours @ amp load" rating which states 1.7 hrs (or 102) minutes at 25 amps.

Their strongest grp 29 has an RC rating of 210 minutes, and they have something called a 4DM, which is huge, probably twice the size of grp 24 (weighs 119 lbs.) that has an RC rating of 390 minutes.

I guess if your comparing the Optima to a standard wet cell 12 v then yes they are a better battery. But if your going to spend that kind of dough I think your better off with 2 6v Trojans.

I'd be interested to hear what your salesman has to say about those numbers.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:37 AM   #17
Site Team

Arlyn:
My salesman was a little defense at first when I went in. By the the time we were done talking and he had read the numbers, he had a different out look on the situation.
In fact he seemed very shocked. I think he actually was telling me what he thought was gospel. One of the mechanics happened to walk in when we were talking and Harlen asked him which batteries he would use in this situation with no hesitation he said the 6 volt. His 6 volt deep cycles were 105 amp hr.
I just pulled the interstate's out of the 5er. Mine are SRM24
Now I would like to find out how many amps that furnace draws when it's running. Looked through all my literature and haven't come up with a number yet. Might have to call CR.
I have to admit, the Optima has some quality's that I find very appealing.
1. Don't have to be lifting it in and out every spring and fall.
2. No maintenance.
3. 500 cycles of discharge and charge verses 250 of other 12 volt deep cycles.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Here are the numbers from Suburban as far as current draw is concerned. Found this at

http://www.rvcomfort.com/suburban/pr...ces/sf_dim.php

SF Series Dimension Chart

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%">

<T>

<TR>

<TD =copy vAlign=center =#d6e0cc>Model Number</TD>

<TD =copy vAlign=center =#d6e0cc>SF-20/20F</TD>

<TD =copy vAlign=center =#d6e0cc>SF-25/25F</TD>

<TD =copy =#d6e0cc>SF-30/30F</TD>

<TD =copy =#d6e0cc>SF-35/35F</TD>

<TD =copy =#d6e0cc>SF-42/42F</TD></TR>

<TR>

<TD =copy vAlign=top>

<DIV align=center>BTUH Input
Height
Width
Depth
Voltage
Amp. Draw
Ship Wt.
Unit Wt.</TD>

<TD =copy vAlign=top>

<DIV align=center>20,000
7 1/2"
17"
20"
12 VDC
35 lbs.
32 lbs.</TD>

<TD =copy vAlign=top>

<DIV align=center>25,000
7 1/2"
17"
20"
12 VDC
35 lbs.
32 lbs.</TD>

<TD =copy>

<DIV align=center>30,000
7 1/2"
17"
20"
12 VDC
35 lbs.
32 lbs.</TD>

<TD =copy>

<DIV align=center>35,000
7 1/2"
17"
20"
12 VDC
35 lbs.
32 lbs.</TD>

<TD =copy>

<DIV align=center>40,000
7 1/2"
17"
20"
12 VDC
35 lbs.
32 lbs.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

2006 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A
2009 CF31MK
JT Strongarm Stabilizers
Demco Glide Ride
Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost 2000E MPPT Controller
billyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:26 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
I have to admit, the Optima has some quality's that I find very appealing.
1. Don't have to be lifting it in and out every spring and fall.
2. No maintenance.
3. 500 cycles of discharge and charge verses 250 of other 12 volt deep cycles.
I agree, they do have some advantages. I do like the idea of the dry cell and no battery acid.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #20
Site Team

billyrabbit:
That is what I was looking for. Thank you