Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Our Cruiser came with 2 12v group 27 batteries which lasted only a year. One now has a dead cell and the other is weak. We do a lot of dry camping and use a generator to charge the batteries when hookups are not available.

What is the general opinion of batteries, whether to replace with 2 12v or 2 or 4 6v batteries. What setup would be better for dry camping? Any information on personal experiences and brands would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I recently upgraded to 2 Trojan 6v from the 2 12v Interstates that the dealer put in. My only regret was not doing it sooner (well that and the cost)The 6v rv batteries are IMHO opinion the only way to go for "dry camping", which is almost all we do. I had several extended (4-5 day) outings last summer, and didn't have to worry about charging the batteries at all. It was warm weather and we we would only run the furnace when we got up in the morning to warm things up. We did however do a 4 day 3 nighter in late Oct that we did have to run the furnace overnight and still did not have to charge. I had the generator with us just in case, but never took it out of the back of the truck.

I would like to have 4 6v, but I don't think I have room in my battery compartment.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
Site Team

I guess I'm pretty much in agreement with everything rock1424 stated.
I upgraded this past summer also. Two Trojan 105 6v. I'm still looking for more room. I would like to have 4 of them, but at $200 apiece, it's slowing me down alittle.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I don't have my 5er yet, but I can tell you that everyone on the sailing forum I belong to agrees that 2 6V batteries are superior to one 12V, and depending on the battery, better than 2 12V batteries! The problem, as I understand it, with RV's is that they run 2 12V batteries in parallel without any way to use them separately. The fact that you had one battery with a dead cell and the other one was weak is probably not just circumstantial. If they were being run in parallel the dead cell battery would draw large amounts of current from the better battery causing the better battery to need constant charging, which is hard on a battery and would shorten it's life. If you ran them separately you would 1. realize that one battery had a dead cell because it would not perform well and 2. not damage the other battery. Boats typically have 2 or more 12V battery banks, but have a way to use one while leaving the other one fresh. This is done with a special switch that is labeled 1-2-ALL. It allows you to use battery #1 or #2 individually. If you need the extra current capacity of having the batteries in parallel you can put the switch in the "ALL" position. If I do very much dry camping I will be putting in extra batteries and a 1-2-ALL switch.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

rock / old farmer.........thanks for the info. I went to the trojan web site and see that they have 3 6v series. What made you choose the ones you did? Also I noted that each series has a "Plus" battery as well. Do you know what that means?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Site Team

If I remember right, I called Trojan's tech service and talked with them about their batteries. For the life of me I can't remember what the story was on the plus batteries. They have an 800 # or you can email them with questions. You can buy the 145s and get more AH but it will cost more $. You have to decide if you need more AH then what is in the 105s.

Ridgeman has the 105s in his rig and had them in his old camper also. They were 10 years old and he said they were testing good yet when he sold it. I guess I figured for what I wanted them to do, the 105s would do it. I know I'm very satisfied with the way they are performing for me this year.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I went with the 125s for the extra amp hours (I also got an excellent deal on them which made the decision easier...I probably would have got them anyway??)

If I remember correctly the plus batteries have a different terminal configuration and maybe different caps. I don't think there is any diffence in the ah rating on the plus but not 100% sure on that.

As Lloyd stated, their 800# has an excellent tech service that will answer any questions you have. I called them after I bought mine to ask them about max discharge voltage and they were very helpful.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info. I emailed Trojan and asked the PLUS question.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Carolyn
Thanks for the info. I emailed Trojan and asked the PLUS question.

I'd be interested in their answer if you could be so kind as to pass it along Thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

rock, the PLUS on all batteries is a special flip top cap with a water level indicator. They didn't tell me the extra cost but I am going to look into it to see if it is worth buying.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We went to our local Interstate battery dealer and got 4 6volt batteries they drew us a diagran how to wire them solar panels charge them. We do mostly dry camping.

07 sunset trail 29rl

05 dodge quad cab hemi
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

My 2 12 volt marine deep cycles died on me on the way down to Fla. on the second night of sleeping over in Flying J's. Replaced them with 2 Exide 135 6 volts. So far I am very impressedwith them. The 12 volters were only 2 years old and properly maintained.

2007 CF27rl
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

As Old Farmer said, I had 2 Trojan 105's in my last motorhome and they were 10 years old when I sold it and still working. I now have a pair in my Cruiser going on 4 years and they are still like new. I use the Cruiser 5-6 months per year with 1-2 months of that boondocking. Did the same with the motorhome. I am very happy with Trojan 105's. I did a lot of research before I bought my first 105's and they were reported to be the best battery out there for my use then and appears still are. I'm sure the larger Trojans are good as well, but didn't fit as well where I wanted to put them.

I will say that a key to long battery life is proper maintainance and keeping them charged. If you run them below 50% charged they won't last nearly as long as if you keep them above 50-60% charged as a minimum. I did that on my motorhomewith solar panels with a 4 stage charge controller.When I sold the M/HI moved the solar panels and charge controller to the Crusier and added an inverter/ charger which also has a 4 stage charger.I don't believe the converter/chargers that come in our rigs have a 3 or 4 stage charger.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote