Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Site Team

I know these things are suppose to keep your batteries charged w/o over charging, plus desulfate. I was wondering if I could hook one up on my two 6v Trojans for the winter and not have worry about them freezing? Any thoughts?
Where have you guys been purchasing them?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome home Lloyd, as far as the batteries just head south

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, I had the Battery Minder that is installed in the trailer hooked up to two 6v batteries and it worked great on them. I now only have one 12v battery in the trailer and it is installed on it. As far as keeping them from freezing I don't know as that is not something we have to deal with down here. I am getting ready to buy another one to install on my ATV to keep the battery up on it when it is not being used and the cheapest place I have found to buy them is on Ebay. I found several for about $25 shipped.

Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
Welcome home Lloyd, as far as the batteries just head south
Darn it Frank, I knew I should have called you as soon as I got home. Now the lines are all full of pink stuff.
It was a good trip. Thanks for the welcome home.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

That should not stop you from coming south, We all can sstand around you as you clean out your lines, and speculate what that pink stuff is. Maybe you can give a class on that pink stuff???? Ps Dove season starts next week

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I use a battery minder on my trailer, motorcycle and ATV batteries (all 12v). They work great and I've never had a problem with freezing. All batteries are in an uninsulated garage and up here in the cold country, the temperature frequently dips well below freezing.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambleaway
I use a battery minder on my trailer, motorcycle and ATV batteries (all 12v). They work great and I've never had a problem with freezing. All batteries are in an uninsulated garage and up here in the cold country, the temperature frequently dips well below freezing.
That's the answer I was hoping for. What mod. battery minder are you using? Also, do you disconnect your battery in the RV during winter storage?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

All my battery minders are Yuasa. I got them at Canadian Tire but I'm sure they are available south of the border. Yes, my trailer battery is sitting in the (unheated, uninsulated) garage. I just make sure it's up off the cement floor.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:45 AM   #9
Site Team

Thanks Rambleaway.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Don't worry, it shouldn't freeze. Discharged/Dead batteries can freeze but a good battery that is kept charged can stand extreme cold & severe weather. Think of all the batteries left out in the cold every night all across the country.

dcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
Site Team

I went out today and unhooked the battery minder--checked the voltage, and they read-- 13.53v. That pretty much says it all for the battery minder as far as I'm concerned. It's been hooked on the two 6vs since late Oct.
Got juice in the coach now so time to get her ready.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I agree with "dcutter." I have two huge batteries on my boat here in Michigan. They are too big to take out every fall and take home and I can't leave them on a battery minder/charger. All I do is make sure that they are fully charged and disconnect one side so that they can't possibly discharge through any 12V item on the boat. In the spring, after 6 months, I reconnect them and they are just like I left them in the fall. It is an old wives tale that cold discharges batteries. Actually cold helps a battery maintain a charge. The problem comes if you try to use the battery when it is extremely cold, but that is a characteristic of cold batteries, not an indication of lost charge. When the battery warms up it will have more charge in it than if it had spent the same amount of time in a warm environment.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Site Team

It might be an old wives tale---I don't know, but I do know I have lost batteries left out in the cold. They were new ones too. So whether it's a tale or not, I sure feel better knowing my $200 apiece Trojans are being look after by my battery minder.