Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Battery Question

Hi,

This past winter I left my RV in the driveway with AC power not hooked up for a few weeks and the battery was still on the trailer. I tested the battery and it was dead. The current in it was coming up in Microvolts instead of volts. So I bought a good battery charger recommended here in the forums. The battery came up to full 12 volts after charging for a few hours -- kind of quick I thought.
Then I put it back on the RV and also connected AC power.

I noticed that my power converter fan was running intermittently and low speeds even when I had nothing on in the rig (no lights, radio, tv, etc...). When I put my lights on the power converter fan ran normally (at least normal to what I'm used to)

I left the battery hooked up and took off A/C power for about a week. Temps here in NC are not that cold any more.
I checked the battery this morning and it was down to 2 volts.

So my question is this:
Did the battery get so far depleted over the winter that it can't hold a full charge any longer and is the fact that the Convert Fan was running when nothing was turned on, as well as the battery getting down to 2 volts in a week with no usage a sign that the battery needs to be replaced?
Thanks!
Mike
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

My first guess is that it wasn't really fully charged after just a couple of hours. At full charge it should show more than 12 volts.

(From The 12 Volt Side of Life.)
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Site Team

Actually, a full charge should take it up above 14 volts.
The only way to know for sure on your battery, is to take it out, get it fully charged and have it tested with a hydrometer. If you don't have one, any good battery place should be able to test and see if there is one or more cells bad or going bad.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Actually, a full charge should take it up above 14 volts.
The only way to know for sure on your battery, is to take it out, get it fully charged and have it tested with a hydrometer. If you don't have one, any good battery place should be able to test and see if there is one or more cells bad or going bad.

I just ordered a hydrometer, only $10 on Amazon. I'll test it and see and post my results back to this thread.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Usually Advance Auto and Auto Zone will check your battery for free.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

A side question: Do power converters tend to last a long time, or do they often burn out and need to be replaced after a short time (a few seasons)?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Now that is a loaded question. Some seem to last forever, and others tend to crap out in no time. I replaced mine within the 2 year warranty time frame.
It was noisy. This one has been going now for 6 or 7 years.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Once you get the battery question figured out . Either get a battery shut off switch or just unhook the positive terminal when you leave the trailer for any length of time. The radio memory,propane/co2 detector both draw a tiny bit of power,enough to wear a battery down in a few weeks.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Also, by removing AC power and letting the trailer sit with the battery in it, The trailers parasitic loads, like the propane alarm and other things will drain the battery back down to nothing in a weeks time. Either keep AC connected or use a battery disconnect switch to isolate the battery from the trailer when not in use.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Just a suggestion but I would pull the battery out make certain there is a full charge on it and take it to an auto parts store or even Wal-Mart for that matter and have them load test the battery. If the battery test out good put it back in, if not go out and buy a good battery and then install a battery disconnect switch and you should be set. I got my disconnect switch from Amazon for under $25.00
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #11
Gone Traveling

If it will not take a full charge or hold a charg, I would guess that being totally discharged and left to sit the battery became sulfated and will need to be replaced. As previously mentioned, a battery disconnect switch to protect from the parasitic loads. Also, consider replacing it with a maintainence free sealed battery so you don't have to worry about water levels. I have the Optima Blue top and am very pleased with it. It's more expensive than the lower end batteries but is worth it.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote