Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have two 12 volt Interstate deep cycle batteries connected in parallel in my cruiser 5er. The are origional equipment and about 18 months old. I winterized the 5er and brought the batteries into the garage, checked the water level, all good, and put each on a automotive 12 volt charger which shows the charging amps. The first battery showed 15 amps at the start and over a two day period went down below zero. While charging the voltage read 15 plus volts. Ater 2 days off charge the voltage read 12.75 volts.

When charging the second battery the amps only started off around 10 and went down below zero within hours. The voltage during charging also read 15 plus volts. Even though the amps dropped so quickly I left the charger on for 2 days, as the first. Now 2 days later, off the charger, the voltage is only 10.5 volts.

Any thoughts about why one battery does not hold a charge? Also when you have 2 batteries in the 5er does anyone "rotate" or switch out which one is first in line.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Since you are only getting 10 volts outta one of the batteries - that battery has a bad cell..

I would replace both batteries, next spring

Jimehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Do you have access to a hydrometer?

Battery hydrometer</span>

The state of charge of a lead-acid battery can be estimated from the density of the sulfuric acid solution used as electrolyte. A hydrometer calibrated to read specific gravity relative to water at 60 degrees Fahrenheit is a standard tool for servicing automobile batteries. Tables are used to correct the reading to the standard temperature.
You can check each individual cell of a battery and zero in on the culprit. You may find it is low on water and be able to correct the problem but more than likely, the battery is toast.

Edited by: jeb

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote