Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Battery stolen: what size?

Hi! I have a 2014 Cruiser Aire 28FB, and recently some clown stole our battery while it was parked in the storage lot. (The joke was on them, though, because it was dead as a doornail. HA.)
So I knew I was going to be replacing it anyway, but, this does make it harder for me to look at it and find out what size I should be replacing it with. It was the original battery. Can anyone help me out here? I know there are multiple sizes, or voltages, but I am not any kind of expert in this particular area!

Any help appreciated!

K
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
nursehoneybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Any 12 volt that will fit in the battery box should work for you. Just try not to buy the cheapest one out there. Spend a few bucks and and get a good one.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

UGH, I forgot to mention that they also took the lid of the battery box. Why would you just take the LID?? So I'll need a new box anyway. So irritating.
What constitutes a 'good' battery? I really have no knowledge when it comes to batteries. I've never had to replace one before.
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Old 07-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

For example, what is the difference between a Group 24 and a Group 27? I feel like we had a Group 24, but do people use other battery types/sizes when dry camping, maybe? That's not something we do a lot of, unless the shore power goes out!
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Old 07-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursehoneybadger View Post
For example, what is the difference between a Group 24 and a Group 27? I feel like we had a Group 24, but do people use other battery types/sizes when dry camping, maybe? That's not something we do a lot of, unless the shore power goes out!

Difference between the two is -- size, and capacity.

The type of camping you do may influence your next battery purchase. If the majority of your camping has shore power available, then IMO just consider a standard group 24 Marine/RV battery similar to your existing battery.

On the other hand, if your camping involves frequent boondocking (no shore power) then you may want to consider a "true" deep cycle battery (12V or 6V set-up). True deep cycle batteries cost more, but they have capacity and longevity advantages over a standard Marine/RV battery.

I'm not aware of a compatibility issue with a given converter/charger and a particular battery size..., other then a larger capacity battery may take longer to charge to full capacity. Many newer converter/chargers are three stage units (in lieu of two stage) and have enhanced charging characteristics.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Last one I replaced in our camper I went to Walmart and purchased one of the Ever Start Marine deep cycle batteries. I think they run around $119. They usually sell the battery boxes also.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Try Walmart for an Everstart marine/rv battery.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

If you are a Costco member, they have deep cyclebatteries also. I would go for the largest battery that will fit your box, or if buying a whole new box get a group 27 or 31 size. They also have “golf cart” 6 bolt batteries that you can install 2 in series for 12v and have a lot of reserve if you camp without hookups.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Before making your choice on a battery/batteries, you have to know how close you are on tongue weight. more batteries, bigger battery will all place more weight up front.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Good time to upgrade

The question is, how long do you intend to keep your RV? How much camping do you do, that you rely on the battery?
I do a lot of `dry' camping, so I bought a beautiful AGM super battery. I can twice as long as I used to, and it needs no maintenance, and will last a long time.
Because it's not a lead-acid battery, it can go inside the RV, so I rewired things so I have it in the front storage compartment. Out of the weather, and locked up. The main purpose for that was to have room for two LP tanks on the tongue.
Any 12 volt will work, a cheap one to get by, but if you use it, buy a new group 27 box and big battery.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Get the lead out

Batteries have been a hot commodity for thieves for some time. Not for their electricity but for the lead. The lead gets recycled and used for all kinds of things, mostly more batteries. Every part of a lead acid battery is recycled. Lead, plastic case, even the sulphuric acid. Even a dead battery has value. A good reason to fashion a locking strap for your battery case.
As for replacing it, a type 27 deep cycle marine 12 volt battery is great. If your trailer gets sunshine, buy an inexpensive 2 amp amorphous solar battery maintainer that will trickle charge your battery during those long storage periods. If you camp frequently with shore power, the charger isn’t needed. Any lead acid battery, especially deep cycle batteries, should not be allowed to completely discharge. Car batteries are made for regular use of brief high output bursts of energy, with immediate recharging from the alternator. Deep cycle batteries are made for longer periods of use like running lights or trolling motors and have longer storage life.
Jagsix is offline   Reply With Quote