Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I have to repack the bearings on the Cruiser here in the next couple of weeks and have some questions. Is there a way to findout what seals I need before I take everything apart? I would like to have everything I need when I start. Also, Is there anything I should be aware of regarding the "ez-lube" set-up or whatever it is called? I am going to pack the bearings by hand because I don't trust the zerk fitting set-up. Is it basically like hand packing a "regular" set of bearings? I have to admit I am a littlenervous about this because of the importance of the bearings and I don't want to create a problem that is going to leave me sitting along side the road. I repacked thebearings on my old camper but it was "old", didn't havethe zerk fitting set-up and I didn't worry about it as much.

Thanks,
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Lonnie.....Your going to get mixed opinions on this. I prefer hand packing if you know how to do it. Forget the Zerk fitting. There is a bunch of old posts that list the seal and bearing numbers but there are some differences depending on axle. I also prefer the double lip seal. Personnally, I would pull one wheel and take the bearings/seal to tthe local auto parts and get the parts based on the numbers you have.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Its pretty much the same as any other bearing pack Lonnie.

The best way to get a seal for it is to look at the numbers on the seal. It will usually have a number somewhere on it and that will tell you what seal to get from the store. Make sure you get what I call double contact seals. They are stronger than the single seals. The doubles have a spring inside them and contact the spindle in two places and are stronger.

I just packed my bearings a few weeks ago and researched alot online about how to do it fora Travel trailer and everywhere said the same thing, just pack them like any other bearing.

On the easy lube it is hard to get the cotter pins out and get them back in. Use new pins everytime though. What I did was put a small bend in the cotter pin before I put it in to help it along the curve of the hole.

Make sure to clean out the old grease out of the easy lube ports in the spindle. I did this by just attaching the grease gun to the grease fitting and pumping grease (while it is all apart) through it until I seen clean grease coming out the area where the inside bearing sits.

You may want to get a Lisle Handy Packer, they work great for repacking the bearings. easy and very clean to use.

Also make sure to "set the bearing" when your reassemble the whole thing. What you do is, put everything together, then while turning the drum tighten the castle nut until about 40-50 ftlbs ( I just kind of did my by feel I turnedthe nut until I couldnt turn it no more with a large wrench)then spin it a few times to set the bearings. Then dont spin the hub anymore and loosen the nut then put it finger tight and then put your cotter pin in, (without turning the drum again) once together it will be all set to go, and you can spin it as much as you want now! .

Also check them for burnt or kind of blued races. Two of mine were blued so I replaced the bearings and races on all the wheels with new Timken bearings and races (the bearings used by Crossroads were made in Slovakia and I wanted American made bearings). Autozone has a set of race tools that you can borrow from them that you use to seat the races, and it works great.Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Site Team

Lonnie:
If you have repacked the bearings on your old trailer, this shouldn't be any different. Don't worry about the "zerk fitting". Just go about it as usual and I'm sure you will do OK.
This is the # for the seals I used in mine. I got them at Napa.
Part # SL213

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I just did my bearings and the # was on the rubber part of the seal. Ended up doing it by comparing seals.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Lonnie,

When I did my bearings last fall I ordered the double lip seals directly from Lippert for my 5200 lb axles. I bought someextras so I would have them for next time.I just checked the number on one of the new seals. It is TCM 22333TBN.

You likely don't have cotter pins.You probably have "tang washers" like mine. They can probably be reusedat least once but I would replace them after a time or two. I got them at Lippert also. You can probably use the sealnumber above to have Napa crossreference to a Napa seal and it will probably be the number the Old Farmer gave you above. But I'm not sure if his 26RK has the same axle as your 29BT. I just got lazy and since I needed to get some brake parts from them I just ordered everything I needed from Lippert. their prices are about the same as others.

As far as hand packing the bearings, just follow the advice above. It is pretty straight forward and the EZ lube doesn't present any problems or solutions for that matter. Hand packing is the way to go!

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for everyone's input. I finally got the bearings repacked today. Took about 3.5 hours total and that included cleaning up and putting everything away afterwards. The job itself wasn't bad but getting everything I needed was a circus. I pulled the first hub Saturday and removed the seal so I could go get new ones. I then spent the next 2.5 hours trying to locate a seal. No one had a seal that matched. I sat at the counter at my local NAPA for 30 minutes while the guy looked at every book and seal they had in the place. I was so shocked that they didn't have a seal that I went to a different NAPA and went through the same thing with the same result. After checking 4 other places I went to a local camper sales and they had them! I have been in there a hundred times in the past and they never had anything like that before. Plenty of folding chairs and patio mats but never any "parts". Well, at least I found them. But, by the time I got home it was getting ready to storm so I put everything back together and waited until today. No surprises really with the job. I did pump some new grease into the zerk fitting just to push out any old grease. It took about 3 pumps to clear out the old. The old grease still looked ok and the bearings and races looked fine but I am glad I did it. I will replace the bearings/races when I do this again next spring just to be safe. I wrote down the bearing numbers (25580 inner &amp; 15123 outer)</span>and will replace them with Timkens. I did pick up a Lisle bearing packer and that thing was money well spent!
Lonnie

Old 04-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Lonnie,

What were the numbers on the seals .... I have called Lippert and the number they gave me does not cross and when I ask for the ID, OD, and width it also did not mach. I had it done last year and thought I would do it this year and save a few bucks. I have the numbers they used but can not find them too. I may have to go back to the service place and buy from them I just want to make sure I get the correct parts.

thanks
george

Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

What are you guys using to raise your trailers??????
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

George- The seals I bought were made by Tekonsha, or at least packaged and labeled by Tekonsha. I think the part number on them was 5606 or 6506. I honestly don't remember and I threw the packaging away and did not write down the seal number down because I am going to call Lippert and order a set and spare (using the axle number) from them this week and thenjust hold on to them until next spring when I do this again. I can tell you I could not "cross reference" the original seal number or the new one's I bought with any other number anywhere. They are the same size, double lipped with the spring in them. Both sets were made in china so I really wasn't surprised when the numbersdidn't match up.

As far as lifting the camper, I used floor jacks and 6x6s. I only removed 1 wheel at a time just in case it fell.

Lonnie

Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Thanks ... I will cross the size and try to find something local

Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

What do you guys think about that plastic unit you pull the trailer on that lets one wheel "hang?"
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I have one but have never used it (and hopefully won't need to). I got it when I bought the camper. I would only use it to change a flat on the road. The concern I have with it is that it puts all the weight on 1 wheel. I think in an emergency it would be ok but I would not be comfortable leaving the trailer on it for long. I carry it with me when we camp because it would be a quick and "safe" way to get a flat changed along side the road. To me the biggest advantage is that it has a big footprint and could be used on "softer" surfaces where a jack might sink in. Just my 2 cents.
Lonnie

Edited by: Chuck N. Wined