Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Hello all, just got back from winterizing the 5ver and all went well thanks for all the tips. Now for the not so good news I allowed some non trailer people to use the trailer for a weekend and when my wife went to open the bed to access the storage area I found that the bed frame has basically imploded. The folks that used the trailer did comment on how the bed was soft in the middle.

Question is has this happened to anyone else and what is the fix, has anyone modified the bed frame to improve on the 2x3 stapled together?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I just pulled mine out and put in a Ikea spring frame. I need to finish writing up what I did and post pictures. I did move from a RV King to a standard queen so I did lose some bed area but picked up a bunch of floorspace in return. Weight was about the same.

What I've not figured out is just where to put the gas shocks to help lift the frame. That will be a project for later I think.

I've seen several others discussing the 2x3 frame giving out. I think the discussion is in either the Kingston, Cruiser, or Modifications fora.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

If the plywood is not hurt and hinges are still attached just add a few 2by 2's for support glue and screw them. You can also take a 2x4 and go across the bed frame for support.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Thanks guys, Al please send me all info that you can. We are out of the trailer now for the season but I would like to build something in the shop over the winter.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

If you were a bit closer to Indiana, you could have the bedframe I took out. Unfortunately, it's about 10-12 hours from here to Toronto (we lived there for a time) but would be a good trip this time of year.

I will send along pictures and basically what I did. The only problem I have left to solve is where and how to mount the gas cylinders to help lift.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Take a look at the Kingston section under "King Bed Collapse" and you will find all the info you need

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Thanks again. I have contacted Crossroads and they are going to send me a drawing of the factory set up it will give me something to base my winter project on.

Thanks for the offer Al we are another 7-8 hours north of Toronto so it would be a long but scenic ride I would of course have a few of your favorite bevvys waiting for you.