Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I noticed that our CF30SK had a lean to the left when we are towing. Since I decided to perform brake maintenace, I thought that I have look at the full suspension system. The tires appear to be wearing evenly so I don't think there are any alignment problems. The lean that the trailer has, appears to be coming from the springs. I looked under the trailer and noticed that three sets of springs appear to be bent at the spring saddle on the axle. The left side appears worse than the right side. I took pictures of all the springs and would like your opinion of them. By the way, they were made in CHINA.

Left Frt Spring

Left Rr Spring

Right Rr Spring

Right Frt Spring (This spring appears to have little or no bending)

2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
jeb
Family Vacation Member

I'm not quite sure I understand where the springs are bent? Can you be a little more specific, like which leaf, or where the bend is in relation to the shackle U-bolts?

They look normal to my eyes.

Edited by: jeb
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Thanks for your thoughts, Jeb. I guess the pictures of each spring set, are not illustrating my query as well as I had hoped. WhenI look at the spring set on the axle spring saddles, there is a gap between the spring setand the saddle and the whole setappearsdeformed into faint "W" shape, instead oftheusual"U" shape. It's hard for me to believe that this deforming is normal.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

From the pictures it just looks to me like 3 of the springs are pulled down flat to the saddle and one (the right front) is arched even under the clamp. Is it possible that 3 of the springs are clamped down tighter than the 4th? Have you checked the torque on the hanger nuts?

I haven't noticed my 30SK leaning left while towing, but I have to say it wouldn't surprize me too much when you consider the weight distribution of our rigs. We have 2 slides and all the aplliances on the left side. I just figured they put a stronger spring on that side. Someday I will get to a scale to weigh it to see just how far off the weight distribution is to each side. It pulls sonice I've never been inspired enough to get it done.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
jeb
Family Vacation Member

It would be a good idea to weigh the unit and see what the weight distribution is before panicking. Once you have these weights, I'd give Randy at CR a call and see what he thinks about the weight distribution and whether it might be causing the street side springs to be overloaded. If so, he can contact the supplier (Lippert?) and see how they want to handle it. Is it still under CR warranty?

jeb is offline   Reply With Quote