Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Best portable waste tanks?

What is the best portable waste tanks that everyone likes? I see numerous options but I like the Thetford SmartTote2. Anyone else have a favorite and why?
Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

The best portable waste tanks are free. Check Craig's list or your landfill/transfer station. I got mine for free, don't remember the brand, but it was fairly new, no cracks, damage, duct tape or repairs.

After filling it the first time and trying to haul it from a site to the dump station with my truck and almost having a huge code brown, I pulled it the rest of the way by hand. I emptied it rinsed it and put a sign on it "FREE" and left it at the dump station. It was gone within an hour.

I decided I would rather break camp and drag the camper to the dump station than ever deal with it again. After then, if we didn't have full hookups, we used campground facilities as much as possible, used the toilet only at night and in an emergency. Granted it was just my wife and myself.

Didn't work well for me, not saying it won't for you.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

We have the Thetford Smart tote with the 4 wheels. It is super easy to move and the auto close valves makes accidental spills almost impossible. We are a family of 4 and do a lot of week long camping in national parks where there are no full hook ups.

I can't imagine breaking down camp and hauling the whole camper to the dump station, that just sounds crazy to me.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFun View Post
We have the Thetford Smart tote with the 4 wheels. It is super easy to move and the auto close valves makes accidental spills almost impossible. We are a family of 4 and do a lot of week long camping in national parks where there are no full hook ups.

I can't imagine breaking down camp and hauling the whole camper to the dump station, that just sounds crazy to me.
I'm not keen on breaking down the camper to dump the takes either. I'm glad to hear the 4 wheel dump tote works well. That was the one I was really looking at.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Given that this was my 1st rv I didn't quite understand what would be adequate grey and black waste tank size.

Now that I know, I think a portable tank is a must. I use the grey Thetford and it works fine, and it's 35 gallon capacity exceeds that of the built in tank. I would hate to break camp every time I had to dump.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have this one:

Barker RV Tote Tank 32 Gallon

Works great and easy/sanitary to use with the valve on the side.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
I have this one:

Barker RV Tote Tank 32 Gallon

Works great and easy/sanitary to use with the valve on the side.
I like that one! Looks like it has pneumatic wheels instead of the hard plastic wheels the Thetford has.