Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Best way to make white trailers white again?

Our 2011 Crossroads Zinger is starting to get dingy from years of towing, highway miles, and storage of the winter. Even with washing it a couple of times a year, it's still starting to get some of those gray/black streaks on it in areas.....and no amount of washing or scrubbing takes it off. It's especially bad on the front.

The only think I've found that works is buffing/polishing compound....but I'm not sure I want to waste an entire weekend buffing the whole trailer down.

Are there any cleaners/sprays out there that work to brighten up dingy white travel trailers?

Thanks!
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Mr Clean magic eraser on a Vileda bee mop works great. You may have to buy a few though. Works great on white awnings too. Test with a small one else first before buying mop heads and a mop.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Site Team

I use Thetford Black Streak remover with great success.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:52 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I find that the best defense is a good offense. Once you do get it clean, use black streak remover, simple green or whatever whenever you notice a black streak developing. Clean trouble spots at least a couple of times a year and rewax the scrubbed area, preferably the whole unit. If you have stains that have set, you are probably going to need 80 percent elbow grease and 20 percent chemical of your choice. I'm guessing, even with waxing, the finish on a 2011 is losing its gloss and will hold stains better than wax. My experience is once the finish starts to chalk, it's an uphill battle to keep it clean and shiny short of a new paint job. Sorry, I don't know a magic solution. Maybe someone else does. If so, I'd like to hear about it too.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:47 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

In the past I have used 4U cleaner. It works very well on the exterior and if your unit has white plastic on the exterior such as the trim on the entry door window or the stove exhaust vent that has turned yellowish just take a small spray bottle with a stronger mixture and apply then hose it off with water and the plastic is white again. It is available on Amazon.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
New Camper

Denatured alcohol on a paper towel. Takes the black streaks right off. Just be sure to follow up with a good wash and rinse, immediately afterward.
Best to use this method in sections, to avoid peeling of your paint or decals. You dont want to leave denatured alcohol on your rig for too long.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Nothing like elbow grease. On my fiberglass siding after a good wash, I use either rubbing compound and or polishing compound with my buffer to clean and remove stains and caulking. After that, i apply Mac Guires, cleaner wax to finish up. As a 2006 toy trailer, the sides look brand new. I also prep and repainted the decals after cracking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2E6DAD54-09CB-4B4E-A6D1-A0E328D1A774.jpeg (166.7 KB, 24 views)
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Prep and repainted the decals?
What does that entail?
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
I also prep and repainted the decals after cracking.
r2
I am interested also in what you meant by "prep & repaint decals"...? As my decals are starting to peal back...

As for black streaks I use a product called "Scrichit"...It works very well, but make sure you follow the instructions...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I use turtle wax liquid "rubbing compound"..... goes on very easy, removes oxidation, bugs, black streaks etc, easy as anything i've ever used, then i use meguires cleaner wax..... for me, is time to get out "heat gun", to remove decals.... they have oxidized beyond repair.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote