Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a new 2011 Slingshot 21FD and would like to install a 2" bike rack hitch reciever on the bumper next to the spare tire in order to add a 3-bike style bike rack. I've inspected the bumper to frame attachment which appears to be structurally sound. Should I be concerned about the weight load on the bumper with the existing spare tire and the addition of a bike rack with three bikes?
gregoja11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would be, that is a lot of weight back there bouncing down the road on just the welds at the bumper. I know of two people that have had their bumpers come loose with just two bikes and a rack. You need something attached to the frame which will void your frame warranty.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Hunter11's comments. I would look for some other way to carry the bikes. Maybe a mount on the front of the tow vehicle.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

i've added a bike rack mounted to my frame rails...i was'nt concerned with voiding lipperts warrenty. use the search feature and set it for "all forums" and "all years". type in bike rack. there is a ton of good reading.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I have a 2 bike rack that is hooked to the bumper with U-bolts. I have carried 2 adult bikes on it since purchasing the trailer and have had no issue's. BUT, i would like to install a frame mounted hitch to the rear of the trailer and get one of those racks that slide into the receiver of the hitch. You can carry coolers, generator, wood........ on something like that. And anytime you mount it solid to the frame it is much better than the bumper alone.

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Please see our post from April 2010entitled: Rear Bumper Support for Bike Rack.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=1716

We built a support last spring that beefed up the rear bumper without welding to the frame.

It is good enough for bikes but I wouldn't use it to tow a trailer.

We have a few thousand miles with the two bikes hanging out the back and havehad no problems with the bike rack.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
New Camper

Hi Dave, do you have a spare tire carrier on your unit?

merbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
msy
New Camper

I was going to put one on my bumper but I was afraid of the wieght and the bouncing. I did put a front hitch on my TV and I am very happy with it.

MIke
Old 04-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Good Morning Merbert,

The spare tire is mounted under the basement and way up front.

The back bumper on our unit is constructed of very thin steel and welded to the frame via some rectangular tubing. I doubt it could hold much of anything.

We were careful not to void the warranty on this new unit by welding anything to the frame. Had this been our old unit I would have welded enough steel to the existing frame and bumper to do the job.

This was just a quick fix to get us on the road.

The dealer showed us a unit that they had modified to tow a trailer. It was heavy metal welded in place. It was a great job but if you ever need to drop the fresh water tank it was going to require a cutting torch.

With highest regards............

Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Everybody has their own way to do stuff.I have a Curt's hitch that fits a 4 inch bumper on my Cruiser and have had for 2 plus years. I like you checked the welds and everything looks good, I also check them a couple times during the year and so far no change. I carry a Honda 3000 on mine and also fire wood and other stuff by using a platform carrier. I ask my dealer about weight and they told me around 300 pounds wouldn't be a problem.So far they are right. The Curt's bumper hitch is made for a 4 inch bumper and slids over it and fastened with 2 bolts under the bottom and cost around $60. I didn't want to weld to the frame while under any warranty encase I had a frame problem.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I just U-bolted a piece ofsquare tube to my bumper. My spare is mounted under the trailer by the factory. My 2-bike rack fits into the simple receiver. It is a tight fit and requires the use of grease to get it in but it doesn't move around at all. We have been thousands of miles with no incident other than weather is really cruel to the bikes. I hate rusted chains and spokes. I am looking at smaller folding bikes that can be stored out of the weather. Anyway, the factory bumper and frame welds are holding just fine. I am aware of bumpers that have failed with just the spare mounted. I think that is faulty work from the factory. I'm cool doing my own welding if necessary though.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #12

Own my last fifth wheel I installed a reciever hitch to the main frame. I haven't done that to my new one yet but it's on the list. Just need to make sure you have heavy steel tubing and mount to the frame and not the bumber. Right now I have a conversion reciever thats bolted to the bumper. Suppose to hold the weight recomended for the bumper or 500 Lbs. I wouldn't dare put more then 60 Lbs on it. Also with a bike rack you usually have alot of bouncing. I would have a reciever mounted to the frame to be safe. Might void the frame warranty but what good is it if you can't use it the way you need to. If you can do it yourself it would cost around $70.00-$100.00. To have it done at a welding shop probably $250.00-$350.00
Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

There is a lot of good advice here. I attached a 2 inch adapter to my pop-up - however, after my first trip - the bouncing motion of the bikes actually started to separate the bumper from the frame - no worries though. I brought it to a friend who reinforced the existing bumper (with the attachment) - with some steel square tubing. After the mod and a coat of paint (looked great) - never had any more structure problems - I carried three adult bikes and 1 child's bike....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote