Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Has anyone else had a problem with birds building nests in the pinbox? I have a robin that thinks the pinbox is a great nesting spot. I'd seen her fly in a couple of times so thought I'd better investigate. She'd carried a bunch of stuff in and built a nest.

Any suggestions on what to put in to discourage her. I put a bunch of mothballs in yesterday. A small blacksnake would probably end the issue but that could cause a different problem.

Al

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I had the same issue a few years back.. A robin was flying in and it drove me nuts she was in there. She was making a mess of things.

I pulled out the nest and got some 1" Styrofoam and boxed it in so no more birds and bees can get in there.. The only picture i have to show currently is this one from a recent morryde install. I can take more if you need next weekend. I will be up at the camper.

The stiro is just pushed in. Cut a little wider and bigger. It squeezed in and stays. I never lost a pc.

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I too have had birds want to build a nest in the pin box. When it is in storage I cover the pin box with a large trash bag.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Just left a three month stay in Texas, at the "out"-laws, after the first couple weeks I noticed a bird going in and out of the pin-box despite our dog tethered right under. Found some chicken wire laying around and enclosed the opening with it and now carry it with me for extended stays. Good luck
Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Aw yes the old bird nest in the pin box, every spring I have that trouble. I just took a bunch of plastic grocery bags balled them up and stuffed the pin box full. No weight, no birds. By about June thy quit trying to build nest around here. But from March till June it use to be a fight to keep them out.

Flyone
Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

1/4" Galvanized Hardware Cloth cut and formed into a pan shape and pressed into service. We used black silicon caulk to keep it in place. It forms a breathable barrier, the water that gets into the pin box can evaporate.
We also used it as a floor in the propane cabinet. No more pine martens storing dead rodents there for future use.
Kamper Dave