Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
I use dawn dish soap in black tank everytime after dumping. It has made a world of difference in the cable valves I have. Much easier to operate and no sticking or hard to pull
That's great to know. Blue Dawn is AMAZING. I used it on black streaks a couple months ago while washing my trailer. It's better than the commercial black streak removers I've bought.
heatherbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherbella View Post
That's great to know. Blue Dawn is AMAZING. I used it on black streaks a couple months ago while washing my trailer. It's better than the commercial black streak removers I've bought.

If you had any wax on the camper, it probably took that off also.
You should use a cleaner/soap that is for autos and/or RVs.

But we're getting a little off the topic the OP started this thread as.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #23
Seasonal Camper

The only time the tank sensors have been accurate for me have been on a brand new RV until the first time it needs to be dumped. The gray tanks probably show empty for a while but even then they get a crud buildup.

I've been using the Geo Method, (others have posted link), for a few years now. It makes sense and it works, at least from the stand point that I don't have any smells from my tanks. I use the cheapest liquid laundry soap I can get at Wal-Mart or the dollar store. I am seasonal right now, so I don't dump my tank after every weekend. I have a clear elbow on my sewer pipe and the color of the contents coming out typically looks like ice coffee with cream.

It's a holding tank, not a septic system. The amount of time that waste is in the tank isn't going to allow for too much breakdown of solids, especially if it's only two days. I've found that the longer I go between dumping the tank, and again I'm seasonal so I have this luxury if you can call it that, and it is mostly liquid after about 2 weeks.

Save your money on ice cubes, or send the cash to me. 30 pounds of cubes are going to melt pretty quickly in 30 gallons of water. It sounds like it would make sense, but more likely what is on your sensors is residue, not paper or other solids. I let this drive me nuts for years. Now I go by the burp. When I have full hookups which I usually do, we fill the toilet completely with water regardless of what we are putting into it. At some point it will "burp" or a bubble will come up and that indicates the tank is full.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TankSensors3.jpg (124.3 KB, 11 views)

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the great visual. I propped my toilet flusher open yesterday and filled it up nice and full. I didn't see the burp though so I might have to go a bit further. Going to try putting the water softener in today. *fingers crossed*
heatherbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #25
Seasonal Camper

Maybe only the toilets with the rounded gate "burp". If you are concerned about overflow, you will be able to see the water/solids rising up to the gate, (the thing that closes and keeps the water in bowl). The pipes are all sealed, so you shouldn't have a problem if it gets that full. If you have kids, you may not want to let it get that full either.

I mainly let it get full because the longer everything is in there, the softer and more liquid it will become. We use just about a full bowl of water with each flush. As long as you use plenty of water you can flush it daily. I just think that's a waste of water.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote