Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
New Camper

Blowout, ruined rim - guidance welcome!

First post here! Bought a 2014 Sunset Trail 290QB (our first trailer), have been out 3 times and are getting ready for our first big trip for the kids' spring break. Our last trip out, we blew out a tire - <1000 miles on the tires, may have run over some debris, not sure. In any event, the tire was shredded, and the rim was ruined.

We were able to drive home on the spare, and need to figure out what we should do now. I believe the rim is made by Sumec, anyone have a suggestion where to buy a replacement rim?

As far as the tire, the other 3 tires have ~1000 miles on them; do we need to replace all 4, or should I just replace 1 and live with the slightly different wear? Do I need to stick with the same manufacturer, or is it OK to have the same size/load rating but from a different manufacturer?

(Forgive my newbie questions - we spent years renting RVs for spring break trips, finally made the plunge to owning and are already discovering the maintenance that comes along with owning!!)
rklau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

First off congrats on your new camper and welcome to our forum. Sorry to hear about your tire problems. I would inspect your other tires and see if you can see any bubbles or uneven wear in the tires. If you see uneven wear already you might want to take it back to the dealer to have them check your axles.

As for tire brands there's a lot of tire talk on the forums about which ones people are having the best luck with. I have seen a lot of positive comments about Maxxis tires and Goodyear makes a good tire called Marathon which is what I have on mine and prolly have around 8,000 miles on them without any problems. Like I said just do a search on tires and you will get all the info you can handle.

To replace your rim I would contact dealer or see what the brand is and search online for a replacement, you might find them cheaper then going through a dealer. Good luck on making your choice and again welcome.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

One other point is that it isn't unusual for the tires to be several years older than the trailer. I've read of that on several different RV forums. There is a code stamped on the side of the tires that should reveal the year they were made. If they were already four or five years old, there could be some dry rot. Check them closely. A new set of tires is a lot cheaper than an accident.

Be sure to run the rated air pressure in your tires and don't exceed the max speed for long periods of time.

Also, congrats on your new camper and welcome.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

rklau
I would start out by doing what Chris suggested and inspect the other tires VERY carefully. Assumeing they are in good condition, and also takeing in account you think you may have run over some debris. I would just buy the one tire. No need to buy all four, save that money for the trip.IMHO.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I agree with all of the above, but have a suggestion.

If you only buy 1 tire, I would try to get the same as original. I doubt it matters as much on trailers, but you likely want at least the 2 tires on the same axle to match. If you can't get the same, I would buy 2 tires.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Site Team

It might be hard to find another China bomb tire of the same brand. Contact the factory to see if they can ship one to your dealer. Good luck

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
One other point is that it isn't unusual for the tires to be several years older than the trailer. I've read of that on several different RV forums. There is a code stamped on the side of the tires that should reveal the year they were made. If they were already four or five years old, there could be some dry rot. Check them closely. A new set of tires is a lot cheaper than an accident.

Be sure to run the rated air pressure in your tires and don't exceed the max speed for long periods of time.

Also, congrats on your new camper and welcome.
To Mike's point, Mfg's now have to stamp the week and year the tire was made. Most states now require that this stamp is mounted to the outside for easy reading.

Wouldn't be surprised to find a mix of dates, as tires aren't always aligned by age when installing, although you'd expect them to all be close.

The date is usually stamped up near the rim in an oval "heat stamp" showing the week and year. For example, 1213 would be the 12th week of 2013.

Rule of thumb is to not let tires run much after they're 6 years old. Many say sooner.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

All of the above advice is beneficial and useful. Once you get it all taken care of the best advice is proper air pressure, check it often and do not exceed the recomended speed of the manufacturer. Slow and easy can win the race!
You may also want to investigate LT tires trailer tires are ST.
Congrats on the new camper you will find lots of helpful folks here.Happy camping.
Go Well
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
New Camper

Thank you so much for all the direction! Taking it to my tire place in a couple days, they recommended replacing the blowout and the other tire on that side since it would have been overloaded for a bit; they'll inspect the other two and determine whether I should replace them as well. Given that their recommended tires are not that expensive, I may just do all 4 for peace of mind.

(As others pointed out, the original tires are Chinese manufacture. They seem OK, but a more reliable option doesn't cost that much more and seems a better move.)

Really appreciate everyone chiming in - so great to know this forum exists.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklau View Post
Thank you so much for all the direction! Taking it to my tire place in a couple days, they recommended replacing the blowout and the other tire on that side since it would have been overloaded for a bit; they'll inspect the other two and determine whether I should replace them as well. Given that their recommended tires are not that expensive, I may just do all 4 for peace of mind.

(As others pointed out, the original tires are Chinese manufacture. They seem OK, but a more reliable option doesn't cost that much more and seems a better move.)

Really appreciate everyone chiming in - so great to know this forum exists.
Yep, almost all ST trailed tires are mfg in China. I run e rated ST's and have them filled to max psi at 80lbs. With a triple axle, I like the extra sidewall support that ST tires provide.

Many others run LT, light truck tires with success.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Did you save the tire carcass ?
If so, contact the mfg and they may reimburse you for the damages at least....

goodyear did for me - even paid for the in campground repair of the siding the blowout ripped off !

doesn't pay for the loss of time or confidence, but less out of pocket !
Old 04-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
New Camper

Sadly I did not... we were stranded on the shoulder of a very busy corridor (downside of the grapevine on I-5 north) with trucks flying by... just wanted to get the kids back in the car and on our way, didn't occur to me to save the tire (or rim). Oh well...
Old 04-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

still give them a call...
Old 04-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Did you save the tire carcass ?
If so, contact the mfg and they may reimburse you for the damages at least....

goodyear did for me - even paid for the in campground repair of the siding the blowout ripped off !

doesn't pay for the loss of time or confidence, but less out of pocket !

That's good to hear. My dealer (Good Year) has told me the same story with one of his other customers.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklau View Post
Sadly I did not... we were stranded on the shoulder of a very busy corridor (downside of the grapevine on I-5 north) with trucks flying by... just wanted to get the kids back in the car and on our way, didn't occur to me to save the tire (or rim). Oh well...
Where did you leave the tire and rim ? Did you toss it out when you got to a garbage dumpster? Or don't tell me you left it on the side of the road....

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #16
New Camper

The road-side assistance guy disposed of both!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Any pictures exist ? they may help !
Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

blow out & stranded

Okay, let's get real about RV tires. Most of our rigs set up all winter, so when we head out in the Spring, believe me, the last thing you want to happen is tire failure at 65-70 MPH like happened to me the other side of Midland, TX. where the speed limit is 75 MPH, the oil people are driving 90 MPH, no cell phone coverage and bang, flop, flop,flop.
Thank God for Good Sam ERS! We were able to make it back in to Odessa to a rather large tire dealer.
The advice was very well accepted. I, like most RVers was overloaded on two year old LT 10 ply rated tires.
They introduced into a relatively new tires for RV's. !6 ply rated, unisteel Goodyear tires that are so thick they can be re-grooved.
Trust me, buy good quality tires for the peace of mind regardless of price.
Damage to Fifth Wheel was $1500. to replace the components that were damaged by tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4043.jpg (220.9 KB, 1 views)
mickeyndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #19
New Camper

Did you ever get your wheel? Check out : tredittire.com
i had a similar experience and found my exact wheel on there website and had it sent direct to me. hope this helps. or call jennifer Miller 800 537 2925 X 135

2004.5 Chev 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax/Allison

BullyDog TriplePup Prog.

https://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...ignature-2.jpg

Fuzzy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blowout, rims, tires