Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Bottle Jack size

I have a 2015 Crossroads Cruiser 35'. What size bottle jack would be good to have along in the event I need to jack up the rig for flats or maintenance on bearings etc, I have an 8 ton. Is that enough?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have a 12 ton bottle jack. Might be an over kill but I’d rather have to much than not enough. I also carry a couple pressure treated blocks cut from a 6x6 post. In case I need extra height or if I have to use the jack on soft ground.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have a 4 ton... works fine. You are not jacking up the whole weight...also add leveling blocks under axle like a safety stand.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I use the bottle jack that came with my truck.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I use a 4 ton bottle jack and is plenty for my trailer. I put an 8x8 block to give it the extra height and lift inside the shackle opening at the rear of each spring where it is welded to the frame. The pointy part of my jack fits in perfectly and does not need any shim here. If you do use one I would suggest metal as wood will split.

I was told to NEVER EVER jack it up using axle as the lift point as the axle will bend and throw the wheels out of alignment.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I have a 2015 Crossroads Cruiser 35'. What size bottle jack would be good to have along in the event I need to jack up the rig for flats or maintenance on bearings etc, I have an 8 ton. Is that enough?
Anderson Hitch Rapid Jack on Amazon if you have a tandem axle RV.
Bud1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Not all Tandems will work with these as I learned on my trailer. The axles are to far apart as well as the independent suspension keeps it from working.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:19 PM   #8
Site Team

I carry a 12 ton short because that's what i had on hand.. Put it under the axle between the u bolts or on the inside u bolt. I have used this method for years and have yet to bend a axle. But if you place the jack toward the middle of the axle then yes you could bend it.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

*BROKEN JACK* Just recently I used my 3 ton floor jack to put the 5er up on jack stands. Decided to do this this winter to give some relief to my new Goodyear Endurance tires I just put on this spring. Yea Yea I know today’s tires don’t really need this but I’m still old school and I can service the brakes and bearings this spring, before I lower it back on the wheels. I did however break the u-joint on my 3 ton jack in the process and had to switch back to my 12 ton bottle jack I keep on the camper. So I jacked up the camper under the frame, just behind and in front of the wheels. Then I placed a jack stand between the u-bolts on the axel just inside the wheel. I know some will say your not supposed to jack or place anything under the axels. I would agree not to do that out further on the axels; but I’ve been putting campers up on jack stands between the two u-bolts for over 20 years.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 11-18-2019, 05:20 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
*BROKEN JACK* Just recently I used my 3 ton floor jack to put the 5er up on jack stands. Decided to do this this winter to give some relief to my new Goodyear Endurance tires I just put on this spring. Yea Yea I know today’s tires don’t really need this but I’m still old school and I can service the brakes and bearings this spring, before I lower it back on the wheels. I did however break the u-joint on my 3 ton jack in the process and had to switch back to my 12 ton bottle jack I keep on the camper. So I jacked up the camper under the frame, just behind and in front of the wheels. Then I placed a jack stand between the u-bolts on the axel just inside the wheel. I know some will say your not supposed to jack or place anything under the axels. I would agree not to do that out further on the axels; but I’ve been putting campers up on jack stands between the two u-bolts for over 20 years.
You are doing it correctly.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

Been jacking up all types of trailers for over 40 years by placing the jack between the u bolts, never a problem, never bent an axle.
IMHO it's more dangerous using however many blocks under your jack to raise the tire off the ground from the frame.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Been jacking up all types of trailers for over 40 years by placing the jack between the u bolts, never a problem, never bent an axle.
IMHO it's more dangerous using however many blocks under your jack to raise the tire off the ground from the frame.
I agree. The only reason I ever jack up the frame as close to the wheels as possible, is to place a jack stand between the u-bolts on the axel.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post

Cribbing is a tried and true way of supporting a jack and even the Rv that's been used for decades in industry. You just need to know how to properly do it. If you're an amateur and not familiar with the technique, then don't do it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #14
Gone Traveling

Am very familiar with cribbing & how it's done, but still jacking the entire RV more than necessary to raise one tire off the ground, not to mention having to carry all the cribbing blocks.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote