Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

brake wiring

While towing, our Prodigy controller started intermittedly flashing "SH", which means short, and then n.c. which means not connected. (The brake lights, blinkers, and running lights all still work fine).Then it would be normal for a while and then repeat the above. I looked under the RV (2008 29CK) and saw that two black wires from a front brake were hanging down. It looked like they should be wired together so I did. Was fine for a while and then started repeating the above. Looked under again and saw there were also two other wires (a red and a white from the harness) that looked as if they had been "rubbed" until they broke. I couldn't see any other wires to hook them to, so I stopped at a place that assembles stock trailers and they said that the red, white, and two blacks on that front drivers side RV wheel are usually all connected together so they did. The brakes worked for about 10 miles and then started repeating the "SH" message on the controller. We are still about 350 miles from home and luckily I have an exhaust brake that I can assist the truck brakes with. The RV brake controller does show a low (2-3) reading when I use the brakes and seems to have some stopping power, but once i let off the pedal it again shows the "SH" reading once again. Tonight, I have replaced all the old quick connect wiring connectors they used to wire the power cord receiver on the truck and am still getting the "SH" reading.

I also checked the wires for wear on both sides where they go into the axle and see none.

First off, are the white, red, and two black wires supposed to be connected together on the front drivers side wheel brake?
Secondly, what else could cause this problem and how can I check for it?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Maybe this diagram may help you.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-69080.html

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Maybe Kamper Dave's thread will give you some info that will help.
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ing-12777.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

mmorris
I had the same problem several years ago...It turned out to be a magnet wire inside the brake drum had rubbed the drum and would touch the drum intermittently causing the short...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
mmorris
I had the same problem several years ago...It turned out to be a magnet wire inside the brake drum had rubbed the drum and would touch the drum intermittently causing the short...
Had the wires running inside the axles rubbed bare causing short.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote