Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I need your guys help again!!
Every Time I plug my 2009 Zinger into my garage. I trip only half of the 30 amp main breaker. What am I doing wrong.? What a pain. I reset it and all is okay. The first time I didn't notice it until my battery went dead and the CO2 warnning went off.
Thanks for all of your guys help!

2008 F150 4.2L V6 yes a V6

2009 Zinger 19RD
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The first thing I would do is replace the 30 amp main breaker. Sometimes they get a weak "leg" and trip early. The other issue is if one side trips the other is suppose to "follow". Try replacing it if you are comfortable doing so. The breakers are normally pretty cheap.

I misunderstood the orig post. I thought he was talking about the Main breaker in a sub-panel in a garage which would be a 2-pole 240volt main. The other posters are probably more on target to the problem. My bad! Edited by: Stan
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Need more info- are you plugging into the garage's 20 amp receptacle with an adapter from your 30 amp trailer circuit or have you hard wired a 30 amp receptacle in the garage dedicated to your RV. Is the house 30 amp breaker popping, or the 30 amp breaker in the RV panel.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

QUESTION ???????

Are you using a normal 30 amp circuit breaker? If yes, you are providing 230 volt to trailer.

Using both phases as in normal circuit breaker box could cause harm to your trailer.

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I am using an adapter and pluging it into my garage's 20 amp receptacle. The breaker in my trailer is popping...only half of it.

2008 F150 4.2L V6 yes a V6

2009 Zinger 19RD
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">The way I understand this is that you are not tripping the MAIN (30 amp) breaker in the trailer, you are tripping half(15 amp)of a double breaker. Is there any chance this double breaker supplies your micro-wave and your air conditioner? I am just going by the way my trailer is wired. Try unplugging your micro-wave and air conditioner one at a time and then reconnecting to the 110 supply. Perhaps one of these is the problem. I think you have something DOWN STREAM that is amiss.<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">
<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">Of course, it could be just a bad breaker. Very easy to replace, just make sure you DISCONNECT the 110 volt supply first. Take the old breaker to the store with you to make sure you buy the right type.<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">
<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">I got rid of my dual breakers and replaced them with singles that I also separated them on the panel to eliminate heat build in the dual breaker set up. This solved my breaker tripping problem. I know that the heat build up is not your current (no pun intended) problem, I just thought I would pass the information along for future reference.<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">
<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">I hope this helps. Let us know what you find out.<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">
<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">See you out there,<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">
<div style=": rgb229, 225, 214; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">Robert</span>

Edited by: 100ton
100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

This sounds similiar to a problem I had. I would plug in to my garage using an extension cord just to cool the fridge when loading up for a trip. If we kicked on the air it would trip either the main breaker in the camper or the 20amp breaker in the garage. My garage fridge was also plug into this circuit. As long as we didn't use the a/c or the microwave all was good but as soon as we tried one of them it would throw one of the breakers. I did two things, I moved the a/c to a separate 20 amp breaker in the camper, this kept the 30 amp main and the 20 amp a/c breaker (all in one) from heating each other up.Then added a 30 amp breaker in the garage and added a campground style of box and plug outside the garage to plug the camper into. Problem solved. If you could give us a little more info as to what and whenthis is happening we canprobably figure this out.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

It sounds like your are trying to run the RV (30 amp) off of a 20 amp circuit. If the A/C, microwave, etc, you are pulling more than 20 amps. The 20 amp is the weakest (lowest amp breaker) in the line up. At 20 amps you will have to manage the power, no A/C, etc.

2004 Ford F350 Diesel

https://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...30slbucket.jpg
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

ditto, dja29RK. That is what I was trying to ascertain from my original question. Just make sure when you plug into the garage that all of your loads are off in the RV and then just turn on what the 20 amp circuit will carry. It's possible that something that is on in the RV that pulls at least 20 amps or more, pops the breaker when it trys to start up when you plug into the receptacle and the amp load on startup pops the breaker (even if it is a good breaker, even more so if it is tired out).

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote