Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Our son took the Cruiser out for a three day trip this weekend. He told us that when the a/c is running, TV is on and he plugs in his IPhone or IPad to the external jack on the Haier TV the breaker trips. This is the only time this condition happens.

Any ideas?

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

What amp is the breaker that is tripping?
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

My son tells me it is the main breaker, 30 amp. Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

In all likelihood, you have a dual 20 and 30amp breaker with is getting too hot and tripping. With the load of the AC breaker (20A) and the loads of the other breakers, the heat build up from the 20 amp section along to heat from the 30 amp section is causing the 30 amp breaker to trip. The easiest way to remedy this problem is to pull out the dual breakers and replace them with single breakers.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Also, Add a 20 amp breaker at the bottom of the panel and move the A/C line there.

Leave the original 20 amp A/C breaker blank.

that was my solution, when my main finally stopped working because of the same issue.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I was in San Antonio last week and had similar problems (breakers getting hot and tripping). This was my first time staying where I used the A/C continuously. We mostly go into the mountains where 24/7 A/C is not required. I believe one of the issues is that (in my case), the back of the breaker panel opens into an "uncooled" comparment. My breaker panel opens into the area where my power cord is stored during travel. And no A/C can get in, and only a small plastic door seals it from the outside. So it gets hot in there. I "solved" my problem by leaving panel door open and placing a small fan to blow cool air across the panel. Since I can get access to the area from inside the trailer, I am considering (I just got back and need to look at the layout) adding a small computer fan inside the area to pull cool air across circuit breakers (since the panel opens into the hallway).

08 Ford F350 SRW LB SuperDuty</font>
ggates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Greg, you should not have to go to that trouble to keep the breaker from tripping when using the AC even using it continuously. If you move the AC to it's own 20 amp breaker you should not have that issue again. Once I moved the AC on our old Cruiser to its own 20 amp breaker we never had it trip again and we used it a lot during the Summer here in Texas.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

This has been an on going problem and the cure is that simple. Move the AC wire to a differant breaker and getting rid of the double breaker or leaving the 20 amp side empty. We have all been through it.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

WhatI don't get is this issue and the heater blanks falling off the heating units (Still happening to my knowledge) are problems Crossroads has been aware of for over 5 years. I know for a fact that I and several others reported these issues that long ago and they are still not corrected. I know they read this forum but they have done nothing to correct these two issues. I just don't get it, these are easy fixes that would be more for safety than anything.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Hunter,

I remember this discussion when I first bought the trailer. I remember thinking that since my A/C was not on the same breaker as the main, I wouldn't have this problem (and until Texas heat, I didn't). My breaker behavior seems odd. The A/C breaker is on the bottom of the stack, while the 30 amp main in on the top (and is a double breaker with a 20 amp circuit that is not the A/C). And what trips is not the A/C breaker (which is doubled with the water heater), but rather the main. But I will look at your solution (easier but less fun) and see if that fixes it. But you are right. This should not be an on-going problem.

08 Ford F350 SRW LB SuperDuty</font>
ggates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Because I had been hearing about this problem, I decided to pre-empt it a couple of years ago.I removed all but one of the dual breakers and replaced them with single pole breakers. I kept the one dual 15 amp breaker unitfor the wall outlets only. In place of the removed breakers, I installed single pole breakers as follows: 30A Main Breaker, 15A for the Water Heater, 15A for the Microwave and 20A for the A/C. Toensure thatheating wasless of an issue, I relocated the 15A dual breaker directly below the30AMain Breaker and the 20A A/C breaker at the bottom of the panel in the last slot.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote